Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with using PORT C in ATmega 32 for LCD interfacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

royvincent

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am using ATmega32 to display something in a 16x2 LCD screen.

The problem is, I have used PORT C for LCD connection and is not working. Later I erased the micro-controller and wrote a very basic program to alternatively make PORT C high and low with some delay (1 second) in between. Now, only 4 bits of PORT C is working as I expected. The rest 4 bits with some secondary function of JTAG is not giving proper output.

Is the JTAG fuse bits set?
But how?

Is there any way to bring them to normal mode?

Please reply...

Thanks

LCD interfacing

JTAG Enable fuse is located in High fuse bit. Bit 6

To disable write 1 to the fuse bit

Nandhu

Re: LCD interfacing

I am using a serial device programmer named ponyprog.

Can you please explain me how to write 1 to that particular fuse bit?

Can it be done while writing the source code? I am using CodeVisionAVR. What is the command for it?

Thanks

LCD interfacing

Can you please explain me how to write 1 to that particular fuse bit?

is it possible that the device's datasheet has some information on that?

It seems I have solved my problem.

I used ponyprog and there is an easy to use fuse bit configuration interface where you just need to uncheck a box corresponding to JTAGEN.

Everything seems solved now.... Thanks

But, what is your opinion about Atmel shipping their micro-controllers with JTAG enabled by default?

LCD interfacing

it is always a bad practice to rely on the programmer settings to get your code to work. you should try to program the fuse in your code as much as you can so you know regardless of programmer settings, your code will always work in a way you expected it to.

millwood said:
it is always a bad practice to rely on the programmer settings to get your code to work. you should try to program the fuse in your code as much as you can so you know regardless of programmer settings, your code will always work in a way you expected it to.

There is no possibility to program the fuse in code for avr controller

Nandhu

Status
Not open for further replies.