Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with usart PIC16F877A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chullaa

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello

i started to learn usart using PIC16F877A. Now i want to check my serial port using Hyperterminal.

I set the following setting

https://www.sinesys.com/support/mbc/img/mbc_hyperterm_settings.png
* COM PORT 1 is used by me.

and i checked the box for eco.
https://cache.automation.siemens.co...1_FAQ/Fernwartung_eingehender_Anruftyp_02.gif

When i type a character it does eco the character (without shorting the tx/rx pins). Is it ok?
or i should not check the eco box. then short the pins and it should eco now.

Waiting for your replay.
umair

You should not check the ECHO BOX....

You don't need to go so far..
Just open hyper terminal and set COM port and Adjust Baud Rate..

Its Okay
And
First of all uncheck the ECHO BOX

Hope this helps

I set the following setting....

The settings in the dialog box indicate a 9600 BAUD 8-N-1 No Flow serial port setup.

These values represent a typical serial port initialization and would be an acceptable if the same values are used in the initialization of your PIC's UART.

and i checked the box for eco.

When i type a character it does eco the character (without shorting the tx/rx pins). Is it ok?
or i should not check the eco box. then short the pins and it should eco now.

The "echo" feature has no effect on the data sent through the serial port.

The feature simply repeats or echos your keystrokes locally without regard to what is being received by the serial connection from your PIC.

Which is why the character is displayed in the terminal window regardless of whether a loop back, shorting the tx/rx pins, exists.

If you disable the "echo" feature and implement a loop back condition, shorting the tx/rx pins, you should see only a single occurrence of character for each keystroke.

How the terminal emulation handles the "echo" feature is largely program dependent. I personally prefer PuTTY over Hyperterminal, which by default uses an auto "echo" feature, in effect automatically attempting to deduce whether or not local echo is appropriate for the current session of which you are working.

PuTTY Download Page

PuTTY also offers several other features which Hyperterminal lacks and above all it's Open Source and Free.

BigDog

thanks arun and guru! fast reply :D now one more question... i have Toshiba Laptop satellite L505D it doesn't have serial port.
I bought two usb-to-serial cables from local market but cant find any driver working with them. what do u suggest?
Regards

---------- Post added at 22:18 ---------- Previous post was at 22:17 ----------

p.s. now i am going check my serial again :D

one more question... i have Toshiba Laptop satellite L505D it doesn't have serial port.
I bought two usb-to-serial cables from local market but cant find any driver working with them. what do u suggest?

USB to Serial cables typically employed USB to UART bridge devices from either FTDI or SiLabs, however there are numerous USB to UART bridge devices available so finding the right driver maybe hit or miss.

When you plug the cable into your laptop, do you receive a message indicating a driver requirement which may provide shed some light on the issue?

Also, have you allowed the OS to search the internet for an appropriate driver?

If all else fails, review the Windows Hardware Device Manager (USB Port) or the Linux System information for clues to the device actually used in the adapter.

BigDog

yes! i installed a software drivermax which auto detected the com port as "prolific serial device" searched the driver over internet database and installed it. But doesn't work.

However i found the problem. :D My serial cable Rx wire was broken so there was no receiving. Now got my characters echoed.
what should i learn next?

Status
Not open for further replies.