Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

problem with serial port interfacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

froten

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

Im tring to write a program for AT89C51 that can send a stream of one character (which is 5) to the computer, I wrote this program but it doesn't work because I didn't see any signal going out from the Tx pin using the osciloscope. the program is as follows:

mov TMOD,#20
mov TH1,#-3
mov SCON,#50
SETB TR1
AGAIN:
mov a,"5"
acall TRANS
sjmp AGAIN
TRANS:
mov SBUF,a
HERE:
jnb TI,HERE
CLR TI
ret
end

the buad rate should be 9600 bps. I didn't actually connect the circuit to the computer because when I use the osciloscope I don't see any signal on the Tx pin. I have attached both the asm and hex files for more information.

Please any help on this issue is appreciated as it is very important for me to get it working.

Try thos code :

Code:
   mov   TMOD,#$20
   mov   TH1,#-3
   mov   SCON,#$50
   SETB  TR1
AGAIN:
   mov   a,#"5"
   acall TRANS
   sjmp  AGAIN

TRANS:
   mov SBUF,a
HERE:
   jnb   TI,HERE
   CLR   TI
   ret
   end

do you think that this code will work as is cost me to reprogram the MCU.

what do you mean by it will cost you , r u paying money for programming tha mc?!

do you think that this code will work
do you think that this code will not work?

Bassically your code is right, the problem is you don't put the hexadecimal prefix($), and immediate data prefix (#)

Here is the list of mistake you made :
Code:
   mov TMOD,#20
the purpose of this instruction is define TIMER1 as mode 2 (auto reload), but without $ prefix this instruction is define TIMER1 as mode 1 (and other TIMER0 setup bits).
It mean you don't have Baudrate Generator for the UART, so the serial port doesn't functioned.
Code:
   mov SCON,#50
the same error, cause wrong setup of UART!
Code:
 mov a,"5"
mean : move the content of memory number $35 to A

why you don't use keil and c codes. it will solve a lot of your problems easily

Status
Not open for further replies.