Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with PC - Bios memory doesn work

Status
Not open for further replies.

kidiotb

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Problem with PC

Hi,

I m facing a problem hope u guys give me some solution.
Everytime i start my system i have reconfigure the BIOS else the default values for processor(mine is actually 733 Mhz P3 , the default is some 333 or 300).Everytime i have to set the processor speed.Also there are other changes to be made like detection of hard disk and CD ROM,Share memory size,Dat and Time etc. I m facin this problem since an year or so.But once I start the system configure once and then restart(without switching off the power) i need not configure anything.I tried changin the CMOS battery in the motherboard but it isnt working.
Can anyone suggest me wat to do????
thanks in advance.

Kareja.

Re: Problem with PC

Hi,
Try this. Install a new cmos battery on the board and with a sensitive microampermeter check the consumption when system is off. It should be around tens-hundreds microamps. If consumption is 0, then the backup power supply is interrupted somwhere (check jumpers and solderings at CMOS chip). If the consuption is higher than few hundreds microamps or even miliamps, then you have a short-circuit somewhere.

/pisoiu

Some Soyo motherboards had this problem. If you have a Soyo motherboard get the latest bios upgrade, (the problem was fixed).

It may be happend due to some corrossion in the contacts of battery carrier, pl check it also.

I had this problem with a gateway system and solved by updating the bios . Also I want you to check if the battery is fitted correctly on it's housing and measure the 3V from points after the socket of battery .

Problem with PC

are there jumpers associated with the battery?

such as setting the jumper in one position to reset the CMOS RAM completely then in another position for normal operation

Had same problemeb with a soyo board with scsi adapters&HDD and replaced bateryy and downloaded bios from germany site.

The jumper setting will clear the Ram contents for the bios so first check that.But i think that the problem is not there if you restart the definitely it will be with the battery related get the latest bios upgraded would be right option i think try swithching on system without cell also.and then put the cell in the next time one time it happened to me

Problem with PC

Please check the decouple capaciters and diode around the battery. Some of them maybe fail.

check the jumper next to the CMOS bat. the that might set the default values might be touching each other for some reason, if this does not work than see wether your BIOS is getting sufficient viltage supply.

Hey guys, check the dates of the posts before posting an answer... :wink:

Hi

You may reprogram the BIOS it self to solve the problem with new version of the software for your motherboard.

Problem with PC

to who this problem is happening the best thing is to put a new battery and then trying to reflash your bios (upgrade ur bios)
u can serch googlr for ur motherboard and bios type and u will may find update for ur bios with the procedure tp do that

Problem with PC

100% Cmos baterry,Change your CMOS battery it will solve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back