Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with LM338 regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogu Reginald

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am working on a power supply project and I am using LM338 regulator (metal case) but I am finding it hard identifying the configuration of the regulator.

you mean the pinout configuration of LM338? .. you can see the 2 pins. one is input and another is adjusment pin. And metal case which is the output.

Attachments

• LM338.jpg
    LM338.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 57
  • LM338_1.jpg
    LM338_1.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 59

I am not cleared yet. My problem is how to distinguish between the i/p pin and the adj pin. Please help me.

check the connection diagram in the datasheet, clearly explains you which is input and adjustment pin.
I have attached a jpg image, open it. the two pins which are input and adjustment is not located exactly at the centre. they are located somewhat closer to one end of the output pin. And, comparing with the datasheet, from the bottom view, left side pin is adjusment and right side pin is input. Make sure, these connections are from the bottom view

Attachments

• LM338_2.jpg
    LM338_2.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 54

No electronic circuit is simple until you have tried it and it is working. Thank you for the datasheet and thelittle explanation, I am now cleared.

Pay attention on power dissipation of this IC (around 50W is limit). Use good heatsink, I use heatsink with fan for PC CPU.

No electronic circuit is simple until you have tried it and it is working.

You dont need to try something to see is this simple or complex. But observer knowledge will decide on which side is design, simple or complex, and expirience you will get with practical working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back