Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with interfacing AVR ATmega324p with HD44780 LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmoraes

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am trying to get an LCD HD44780 LCD working with an ATmega324P. The LCD works fine in the self-test mode (pin 3 grounded) but I get nothing when trying to send data via the MCU.

I am using the lcd code sample that comes with avr-libc and 4-bit communication via port C.

Any suggestions of what might be wrong are appreciated.

Francisco

hd44780 avr c

Well, I've tried some simple bit I/O on port C and it wasn't working. So I switched to port B and the LCD is working fine.

Any ideas of what I may have missed that could cause half of the AVR 324P to work and the other not?

Francisco

avr hd44780 pullup

Yes, i think you should disable Jtag.

hd44780+avr

Ok, I will give it a try. Is that documented somewhere that there could be problems with PORT C if it is left enabled?

help with avr hd44780

just check the datasheet carafully, you will see there that portC is for jtag. so if jtag is enable you can´t use every pin in portC.

chinese hd44780

I understand that, but the wording in the datasheet could have warned people about this common mistake.

I found several postings on the subject after your post of disabling JTAG, so I am not alone :)

Anyway, I will test it on the weekend again.

Thanks for the help.

avr hd44780 nothing

It´s common on every microcontroller. I started with pics, and happens to me that a port sharing with analog compartor, by dafault, was on, so when i try to use that port for output, i doesn´t work.

Cost me like an hour or more to realize why it didn´t work.

And of course, open collectors output, that you forget in the pcb, putting the pull up resistor to work. JAJAJA.

Now i use avr, i´m happier with avr. I stop developing with microchip like 2 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.