Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with ADC (MCP3201) conversion of a simple resistor ladder network

Status
Not open for further replies.

codewrecker2

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I am in a spot of bother with the ADC conversion of a simple resistor ladder network.What i have is a series of 150(1%) ohms resistors with every other terminal of the resistor connected to o/p of a hall sensor.Yes,the hall effect sensors and the resistors are equal in no. Sort of like this

--constant current source->-150-o-----150------150-------- . . . . . . .. o termination
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxxxx|resistor
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxHall1o/pxxxxxhall2o/pxxhall3o/pxxxxxx|
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|xx|xxxxxxxxx|xx|xxxxxxx|xxx|xxxxxxxxx150
------gnd--------------------------o--|------------o--|----------o----|--------oxxx|
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx|
-------9V-------------------------------o-------------o---------------o--------------o--

I have a equivalent R of 15K( 150x 100).This is what the circuit does.as i pass a magnet across each hall effect i get a voltage drop across these resisors which is linear throughout the length.It seems linear enough on all multimeters i used.But in the application i am using MCP3201 as the 12 bit A/D doing spi with the pic 16f689.

This gives me a linear(consistent with DMM) reading upto the resistance of 12 K.Once i switch the hall ON beyond the 12 K(equ. R) , i get a very low converted voltage (~0.02)whereas the multimeter still remains linear(~1.2V). Also when none of the Hall effect sensors are ON, i get very low voltage through the ADC which is nowhere near the DMM reading. Then if i switch a hall ON within the first 12K(equ.R), i get ADC reading which matches the DMM reading spot on.

Is there something i am doing wrong by having resistors in series?

OK one more thing i gotta disclose.When i turned to the internal A/D of my PIC (10Bit) ,i got accurate results all along even where the MCP3201 was failing.WHAT COULD IT BE??

Thanx, if you reached here reading this.Ciao

ADC MCP3201 headache

please post a better schematics, it is totally unreadable...

Re: ADC MCP3201 headache

OK,here it is now.sorry for the delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.