Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with AC simulation of LDO

Status
Not open for further replies.

myblues

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I'm studying ldo design. I've met a problem of ac simulation. In figure below, one of input of error amp is connected to the feedback net.
When I do .ac simulation, I put a spiral between input of EA and feedback net. So the DC voltage of input achived and ac signal is blocked. But how can I add ac signal? Ples. see below:
v1 in 0 ac 1
Is this ac sentence right? It has no dc voltage! Other words the dc voltage is zero.
If I give a dc voltage like this:
v1 in 0 dc 1.2 ac 1
then the dc voltage from freedback net is not taken effect.
To solve this problem I put a capacitor between the ac signal and the input. But in this way I cannot see the ac characteristic in low frequency.
So I have no idea about it.
Thanks!
(By the way, are there any problem in my picture?)
69_1168712389.gif

Re: How to simulate .ac of LDO?

I saw a ldo circuit in a paper 'Performance Evaluation of CMOS Low Drop-Out Voltage Regulators' showed below:
87_1168755763.GIF

This circuit puzzled me. Should the feedback be connected to M2 gate? Why not M1 gate?

The paper is below.

AC simulation of LDO

Dear myblues,

it will be no problem with inductor L1 connected the feedback loop in order to give DC operation, a much large resistor(100Mohm) may also be an alternative instead of inductor.

So if you give a dc voltage to IN, suppose the VREF=1.2v, a systematetic offset will easily destroy the DC balance.

And my suggestion is that you can try give a ac signal in VREF side.

R1 IN NEt4 100M
C1 IN 0 1000
v1 VREF 0 dc 1.2 ac 1

Baniliu

AC simulation of LDO

you can break the net from inductor L1 to in and insert a ac voltage source, like this:
vac in net6 ac=1
L1 net6 net4 5

Status
Not open for further replies.