Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with a strange output on LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

sardarg

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've used the Circuit from the website
Shift1-LCD Projects

But getting junk value on display.. Sometimes the circuits works fine for 5-10 mins and then displays random characters mostly " w ? w? : w?" and sometime the second line of LCD disappears..

Kindly help me finding the problem.. I have checked the codes on a prototype circuit and it is working fine but when i converted this to a final PCB now getting this result.. I have checked the circuit layout, the schematics each and everything possible mistake that could have been there but no improvement..

Can anyone suggest me what to do?

Last edited by a moderator:

Re: LCD Strange Output??

the timing of writing to LCDs can be critical (they are very slow in computer terms). Try putting a few millisecond delay after writing a character.
does it work if you write a single character? if not it is possible you gave the data lines incorrect - put it in a loop and check the bits with an oscillosocope

Thank U "Horace1" i'll try these steps but i've added some delays of 20msec after writing each line..
One more thing i have noticed is that display changes by changing value of Capacitor on the Regulator Output.. Currently value is 0.1uF as mentioned in Datasheet but when i change it the randomness varies time by time say for 10uF cap error occurs after 9mins but not fixed at 9mins sometimes it occurs between 3-5mins..
Is this a power supply problem thats creating LCD junk data..??

66_1300523936.jpg
66_1300523936_thumb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

could be - the 5V power supply I used is

Thanks Let me Check this also..

Status
Not open for further replies.