Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with 1x16 LCD...only 8 chars coming in display...

Status
Not open for further replies.

seemanta

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am trying to use a 1x16 LCD display with my 8051 micro.
The particular variant happens to be Agena AA16102. This is compatible
with the Hitachi HD47780.

However, I am only able to make it show the first 8 characters.
I have searched a lot on the net, and they all say that the display is physically
1x16 but it is in reality 2 1x8 display put side by side.

So I started the initialization in 2 line mode and I tried to move the cursor to the next line but even that did not work.

If that was not enough, I looked up the agena website and as per their data sheet, I also gave the same sequence of initialization commands. Even that did not work :-(

Can anyone please provide any pointer for this weird problem?
By the way, I am based in India.

Thanks in advance!
~Seemanta

Re: Problem with 1x16 LCD...only 8 chars coming in display..

I,too had once faced a similar problem and in my case the lcd itself was defective.So you need to confirm whether the lcd is ok in the first place.
Use some pc parallel port interface and software to confirm.Or try a different lcd.
Also post your code for us to verify.

Hi there,

Which adresses do you use to write to each line. You must move the cursor to the second line address to be able to write to it.

1st Line: 0x00
2nd line : 0x40

Regards

Nic

Hi!
It is very easy to check wheather the display is ok or not. Simply make the three connection GND,VDD and VEE(contrast) without any other connection to the microcontroller. Now turn on the power to the LCD. If the entire row shows black boxes (all pixels on) then the display is ok, If only the first location pixels are ON then the remaining are dead or damaged.

Regards.

I am professional LCD engineer for some years(http://www.e-shinedisplay.com) and I have a lot of LCD Program and LCD datasheet. If any worldwide friends needed, I would like to email you as soon as possible. Pls. email me firstly. Thanks. My Email address is Ken@e-shinedisplay.com.

Last edited by a moderator:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back