Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

problem when checking signal on rising edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

legendkiller

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hey guys. I am trying to simulate a processor on vhdl and here's my problem. I am having trouble when updating my PC. the sequential code for updating PC is given below

As you can see I am trying to check for a data hazard stall and if it happens, the my PC_reg shouldnt update. but as seen below, the PC updates on the next rising fall edge. I presume that this is because of setup hold time violations. The stall signal is not rising up early enough to be detected. but due to my design I am able to generate a stall signal only at that instant. So when i want the PC to stall in address 13, it actually stalls in address 14. I am out of ideas on how to go about here. any help would be appreciated.

a little info on the stall signal. a forwarding unit checks for the register address(which are updated on the rising edge) in the pipeline and generates the stall signal. the forwarding unit itself is combinational. i doubt that it would help me if i make the forwarding unit sequential on the rising edge.

Code:
process(clk,rst)
begin
	if(rising_edge(clk)) then
		if	(rst = '1') then
			PC_reg <= (others => '0');
		elsif(branch_equal = '1') then
			PC_reg <= PC_ADD_out_EX_MEM;
		elsif(data_hazard_stall = '1') then 	
			PC_reg <= PC_reg;	
		else
			PC_reg <=	 STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(unsigned(PC_reg) + 1);
		end if;	
	end if;
end process;
end Behavioral;

Image 001.jpg

On comparing the code with the waveform, I find that the behaviour is as expected.
1. You must understand that when a signal goes high, this high value is checked at the next rising edge of clock. So stall goes high at 1 rising edge, this 1 will be checked at the next rising edge.
2. So if you want PC_reg to stall at 13, you must generate stall 1 cycle earlier.
3. There is no question of setup-hold violations as this is pure RTL simulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back