Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem of placing the cartesian co-ordinates with imaginary axis

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnab913

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
If I wanna place an imaginary axis,with the cartesians,what will be it's graphical view??
We know,
if z=x+i*y,(y=imaginary),
where x & y are right angled to each other.Then where we should place cartesian y or z axis.....
i'm confused...:-?

It's common to plot a complex number, on a 2D graph, with the real part on the x-axis and the imaginary part on the y axis. There is no need for any z axis. Mathmaticians usually use "i" to indicate the square root of -1, but electrical engineers (and perhaps other engineers), use "j", since "i" is used for current.

If an electrical circuit has a resistive component R, and a reactive component X, then the complex impedance Z would be written as

Z = R + j X

I don't know if that relieves your confusion, or adds to it!

Deborah

all three axis are in right angles at any point of time and you will only need x and y axis to plot a complex no

the third axis never is used in a complex no representation since there is no third quantity to be represented it is only 2 D and not 3D

if it is (x,y,z) the z axis is significant but if only x+iy it is not needed at all

all three axis are in right angles at any point of time and you will only need x and y axis to plot a complex no

the third axis never is used in a complex no representation since there is no third quantity to be represented it is only 2 D and not 3D

if it is (x,y,z) the z axis is significant but if only x+iy it is not needed at all
I might've got your point.In complex representation,there is no need of z axis there.So if i think to plot a complex number on 2D graph,I should place x & y axis right angled,and imaginary x axis right angle to both of them,i.e.in place z axis of cartesian.
Am I right?
If it is,then there should be an imaginary part for y axis......where it should be....
I don'tknow whethwr i got it or not!! pls help.
Thanx for reply....:)

- - - Updated - - -

It's common to plot a complex number, on a 2D graph, with the real part on the x-axis and the imaginary part on the y axis. There is no need for any z axis. Mathmaticians usually use "i" to indicate the square root of -1, but electrical engineers (and perhaps other engineers), use "j", since "i" is used for current.

If an electrical circuit has a resistive component R, and a reactive component X, then the complex impedance Z would be written as

Z = R + j X

I don't know if that relieves your confusion, or adds to it!

Deborah

yah,it causes phase difference to current & voltage.It works fine when there is only 1 real component or axis(R).
Thanx for reply...:)

I might've got your point.In complex representation,there is no need of z axis there.So if i think to plot a complex number on 2D graph,I should place x & y axis right angled,and imaginary x axis right angle to both of them,i.e.in place z axis of cartesian.
Am I right?
If it is,then there should be an imaginary part for y axis......where it should be....
I don'tknow whethwr i got it or not!! pls help.
Thanx for reply....:)

You are getting it wrong bro.

Suppose a complex number f = 2+3i
Here the real part is 2, so it is marked on the x-axis (i.e. the real axis)
And 3 is the imaginary part, so it is marked on the y-axis (i.e. the imaginary axis)

You are thinking that x-axis has a real and imaginary part
and the y-axis too has a real and imaginary part.
So a total of 4 axis....???

Thats not true...

For any complex number, the Cartesian x-axis marks the real part, and the Cartesian y-axis marks the imaginary part.

Hope I'm not confusing you..

]

]

For any complex number, the Cartesian x-axis marks the real part, and the Cartesian y-axis marks the imaginary part.

Hope I'm not confusing you..
So,complex number is always 2D,with one real axis....
no, i got my wrong conception....Thanx a lot :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back