Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem in writing into TRF7960 registers - Renesas R8C2C controlling TRF7960 chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashwin_gk

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I have interfaced TRF7960 with a Renesas Microcontroller (R8C/2C). When the TRF7960 chip is enabled i am getting a 3.4 MHz frequency at SYS_CLK pin.

The communication between TRF chip and mcu is through SPI with SS (Slave Select). I am able to read the default values of all registers, but not able to change those values. Reading the registers after performing write with non default values still give default values. The change in clock phase during the shift from write to read cycles is taken care according to the TRF data sheet.

MCU Clock - 20 MHz, SPI Data Clock - 300 KHz
Please provide the information or steps to be taken to get write into registers working.

Regards,
Ashwin

I have the same problem. I can't write to registers and yes I observed the same SYS_CLK signal at the exactly same frequency with you. but there was no signal at DATA_CLK. Also SYS_CLK was little bit noisy. I was thinking about the crystal osc. which is feeding TRF IC. Can you tell me how did u set SS* to low. I am using USCI B0 so what I did to set SS* to 0 is

P3OUT &= ~0x01; //Set SS* to LOW.

which clears UCB0STE.

---------- Post added at 18:20 ---------- Previous post was at 18:09 ----------

Hi,
I am able to read the default values of all registers, but not able to change those values. Reading the registers after performing write with non default values still give default values. The change in clock phase during the shift from write to read cycles is taken care according to the TRF data sheet.

To read those registers, you should alse be sending read command, am i right? So as far as I can see you communication on SOMI and MOSI pins is successful.. What command do you send to change these registers?

I have the same problem. I can't write to registers and yes I observed the same SYS_CLK signal at the exactly same frequency with you. but there was no signal at DATA_CLK. Also SYS_CLK was little bit noisy. I was thinking about the crystal osc. which is feeding TRF IC. Can you tell me how did u set SS* to low. I am using USCI B0 so what I did to set SS* to 0 is

P3OUT &= ~0x01; //Set SS* to LOW.

which clears UCB0STE.

---------- Post added at 18:20 ---------- Previous post was at 18:09 ----------

To read those registers, you should alse be sending read command, am i right? So as far as I can see you communication on SOMI and MOSI pins is successful.. What command do you send to change these registers?

even i have done Slave select similarly.
to change registers i send address with settings as given in table 5-31 of TRF data sheet and then the data. there is no specific command for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back