Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pressure sensor recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

prescott2006

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I want to build a pressure sensor. The components come to my mind include PVDF film, Flexiforce, Interlink FSR. Any others better recommendation? Which of the sensors that you guys think is the best in term of repeatability?

you could try these books.
1)Introduction to Instrumentation, Sensors, and Process Control William C. Dunn
2)HANDBOOK OF MODERN SENSORS, PHYSICS, DESIGNS, and APPLICATIONS Jacob Fraden
3)The Measurement, Instrumentation and Sensors Handbook

None of the mentioned sensor devices would allow to build a precise pressure sensor, PVDF in addition could only sense pressure changes rather than static pressure.

Actually, only few people are building DIY pressure sensors, because they involve a complex mechanical design. Basic piezoresistive pressure sensors are cheap these days. To get on with your idea, you can e.g.:
- study the design principles of existing pressure sensors. Manufacturer literature is mostly very detailed.
- consult general sensor and instrumentation literature, as suggested
- clarify the requirements for your sensor: sensed media, intended pressure range, resolution and accuracy

OK, the project I want to do is install some pressure sensors on a device that wrapped around leg then can continuous monitor the pressure then display the generated voltage on computer screen after data acquisition. Is it impossible to implement it by using those pressure sensor?

Could you be clearer about the pressure you want to sense?
Particularly, is this a solid pressing, a semi-solid (finger), a
fluid or gas?

There are many, many existing solutions for any of these.
Make vs buy, depends on things like whether you are looking
to learn / play, or just get the job done, and the cost of
purchase vs cut-and-try.

Could you be clearer about the pressure you want to sense?
Particularly, is this a solid pressing, a semi-solid (finger), a
fluid or gas?

There are many, many existing solutions for any of these.
Make vs buy, depends on things like whether you are looking
to learn / play, or just get the job done, and the cost of
purchase vs cut-and-try.

I think it is a solid pressing, for instance, I want to install some sensors in stocking. The sensor will continuous monitor the pressure that exerted by the stoking to the leg, the sensed pressure will be converted into voltage, and the voltage will be analyzed. What is the best solution to achieve such objective?

I understand now, why you have been referring to Flexiforce and similar sensing devices. They seem to perfectly fit your application. I fear, the aren't very precise, but you probably won't find a better device. So if you manage to make a good calibration unit (preferably based on hydrostatic pressure, e.g. using a blood pressure instrument) and recalibrate the sensors frequently, they should be O.K.

Status
Not open for further replies.