Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Practical WiFi question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kender

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Stanford, SF Bay Peninsula, California, Earth, Sol
Activity points
Colleagues,

Where is the WiFi antenna in Dell Inspiron 5150? What type of antenna is it? I’m sitting between 2 wireless networks. If exactly one of them is on, I can use it. If both are on, they interfere with each-other and I can’t use either of them. I want to make a metal shield to block off one of the networks. Ideally, I would shield only the antenna with a relatively small shield instead of shielding the whole laptop from one side.

BTW, is my understanding of the WiFi hearability correct?

BTW, are there good free tools for monitoring WiFi networks? The ones that come with Windows are quite crude.

Cheers,
Nick

Nick,
you should know that there is three types of Wi-Fi IEEE802.11a,b,g....b and g are working in the same frequecny 2.4 GHz with different data rates usually b 11Mbps and g 54Mbps while a is working at 5.2 GHz with 54Mbps.........now regarding IEEE802.11g which is commonly used, operate in 11 channels overlapped to each other......Ch1, Ch6 and Ch11 are not overlapped...this is why we have a limitation of using Access Point in the same area without interference...Max=3...you can decide which channel your access point will operate.

Now If you used any monitoring tools...it will provide you with the channel number which is important.......netstumbler is the best software that will monitor Wi-Fi at 2.4 GHz even If the SSID is hidden.

Hope my answer was clear

Thanks,
Best Regards,

Nick, you can not restrict signal from one source by shielding the antenna...it will shield for both. Moreover shielding is not effective unless it is properly earthed. The practical way is to get the channel of one network be changed.

Sidd

I didn't know that there are different channels. Do different channels correspond to different RF frequency bands?

ricksidd said:
Nick, you can not restrict signal from one source by shielding the antenna...it will shield for both. Moreover shielding is not effective unless it is properly earthed.
Geometrically, my computer is in the middle between 2 access points of the 2 LANs that (as I have mentioned before) are jamming each other. I'll try to put a shield on one side of the laptop. That should block the signal from one access point. That should also degrade signal from the other one due to multipath, but not due to shielding/blockage.

Grounding is an interesting issue. I'm going to try to ground it to
- cold water pipe
- or to the ground of the laptop (exposed through the USB shield, for example), because that's what WiFi circuitry itself would be grounded to.

Nick

Of course each channel have its own frequecy band......but you should know first which type of Wi-Fi standard you are currently using....IEEE802.11b/g/a/h....and then google it or WiKi to know the non-overlapping channels for each one so you can use them in your Access Points at the same area without shielding your antenna....this is the best way.....its up to you.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back