Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Practical caveats or low frequency high-pass filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

kender

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Stanford, SF Bay Peninsula, California, Earth, Sol
Activity points
Folks,

Are there any practical caveats to filters with low time constant?

My signal of interest is 0.05Hz (50mHz). I want to AC couple it (into the OpAmp with input impedance of 10^13 Ohm) to remove the DC offset (introduced by the InAmp). I’ve made a 1-pole high-pass with ceramic 4.7uF and 10M. Its calculated cutoff frequency is 3mHz, but I suspect that it’s attenuating the 50mHz signal too.

Best,
Nick

brmadhukar said:
what are the tolerances?
The cap is X5R ceramic, which gives 20% tolerance.
The resistor is 5%.
Thanks for the advice to look at the tolerances, but even if they both stacked up the wrond way, I shouldn't get the cutoff frequency above my signal frequency.

Hope I didn't misinterpret your question - but well, with your calculated cut off frequency at 3mHz and your signal at 50mHz there is more than one decade between the frequencies - there shouldn't be a noticeable attenuation of your 50mHz signal. Attenuation will be in the range of a few 1/100dB I suppose, nearly nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back