Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power via Ribbon Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

~MJS

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,

I am considering powering the gate drive circuit for my H-bridge via a ribbon cable. Has anyone been successful doing this before?

My design is a full-bridge converter, with an H-Bridge on each side. Each H-bridge is being laid out on its own PCB so that I can disconnect one of the H-bridges, and connect a rectifier or other such topologies.

I wanted to use the ribbon cable to combine the gate drive power with the digital signals. The gate drive consumes about 1 Amp, so I thought I could use 10 wires (5 V_15 and 5 GND), and use the remaining part for my I/O.

So, how bad of an idea is this?

Thanks

If seen this quite often with gate driver circuits, and also used it in own designs. Power supply shouldn't be a problem, but common mode
interferences with single ended control signals possibly are. Do you have optical isolated gate drivers or power/logic ground tied to the
DC bus?

FvM said:
Do you have optical isolated gate drivers or power/logic ground tied to the
DC bus?

I do have optically isolated gate drivers, however, the emitters are not tied to the 15V bus. I have a seperate 3.3V bus so that my I/O can interface with a TMS320F2812.

Both the 15V and 3.3V are electrically isolated by means of V-Infinity VBSD1-SIP switching power supplies.

Status
Not open for further replies.