Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Supply Input 20VDC to 60VDC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wafeeq

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Everyone..

i need to design a power supply for my system. my input DC volts may vary from 20VDC to 60VDC but i need constant 13VDC at the output.. Power supply must be reliable as i have tested LM2576 but that is not more reliable. it got burn after some time. i need to design power supply for a professional/ industrial system.

Market availability of these mentioned components is not possible in our country. please suggest some other names.

Are you sure you want to design this? Because the voltage range looks like
"aircraft 28V" for which there are numerous DC-DC products, ready to go.
Although they may be as difficult to procure as ICs from the USA, I'm sure
there are non-US sources for this product niche.

Now 13V is sort of abnormal, but you might find a remote sense converter
that lets you pick resistors, or simply fool a (say) 12V output converter
with your own divider network.

Are you sure you want to design this? Because the voltage range looks like
"aircraft 28V" for which there are numerous DC-DC products, ready to go.
Although they may be as difficult to procure as ICs from the USA, I'm sure
there are non-US sources for this product niche.

Now 13V is sort of abnormal, but you might find a remote sense converter
that lets you pick resistors, or simply fool a (say) 12V output converter
with your own divider network.

Actually i am designing a product for Telecom.. There source voltage vary from 24VDC to 53.8... There are two types of Battery banks installed on the different sites. There might be 24 v battery bank showing floating volts 27.2 and there might be a battery bank showing 53.4 volts. i need design a system that can be installed on both sites. if i am able to bet 12v as output. i willl work. as i have to drive a relay of 12v from these and then i will step down these 12 to 5 for my processing unit by using another voltage regulator.

If you want to use common parts, I would go for a buck circuit using a UC3842/3843/3844/3845. Using an N-channel may pose problems, especially with high-side drive. You can use a high-side driver such as IR2117. However, if the current requirement is not very high, you can just use a PNP transistor such as TIP127/TIP147. I've designed a few buck converters with UC3845 and TIP147 and they were all pretty reliable.

You can wind your own inductor. It's not all that critical. The other sections are pretty simple. You can find loads of circuits with UC384x and you can just adapt and improvise. You should read about how to use the UC384x. Then, you can modify an existing circuit or just design one from ground up. Not too difficult.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Status
Not open for further replies.