Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power supply has bogus load sharing capability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupoftea

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
We are evaluating a 750W offline (100-265VAC) 24Vout converter for purchase. They tell us that it can do load sharing with other paralleled converters the same. They point to a UC3902 load share controller in the schematic. However, I have looked closer and see that the way they have connected the UC3902.....the UC3902 does not adjust the Vout of the converter. The converter’s Vout is adjusted by a microcontroller. This microcontroller also reads the converter’s output current. And the converters output voltage.

The micro does not read the “Share Bus” of the UC3902. Also, the micro takes in no signals from the UC3902. The micro takes in no signals from any other paralleled PSU.

Do you agree that this converter cannot be truly load sharing (with other paralleled converters the same as it) over the entire load range?

UC3902

Best way to achieve load sharing is passively - i.e. set all DC out the same at room temp, then have equal lengths of wire or resistive wire to drop say 0.3 V from no load to full load .... from each psu ....

Hi,
Thanks, that sounds like a good way. Regarding the UC3902, the ADJ amplifier doesnt connect to anything in the schematic, well, to nothing that could influence Vout. So i beleive that this is a dummy part in the schem. The ADJ Amplifier output just basically powers into a resistor that goes nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.