Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power supply design: 60V, 30A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Centmo

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I'm an EE but a little out of element with power supply design, so I'm looking for some suggestions.

I need to charge a 14S LiPo as fast as possible from a standard 120V/20A wall plug. A fully charged pack is 4.2V * 14 = 58.8V. With the AC circuit able to supply up to 20A at 120Vrms (2400W), I figure that a DC supply could reasonably provide 30A at 60V from this circuit. Please assume that the battery pack can safely handle this charge current. The output voltage must be variable in the range 0-60V, so that I can implement a control loop to perform constant-current charging.

Ignoring the cell-balancing part of the problem (this will be done externally from the DC supply), where can I begin to design such a DC supply? I know it may have to be bulky, but the lighter, the better. Is there a development kit I can start from?

Thanks.

first you have to choose between switched mode power supply (which is light and small) or the linear power supply (very bulky at 30A and heavy)

the linear approach is easier ( use iron core transformers to step down then rectify and regulate with external BJTs this can be achieved "though not easy" . sTART by looking cheap Chinese bench power supplies probably you have one in your lab (these rated 60v at 5A)
the switching approach is more difficult (use smaller ferrite transformers with switching elements where AC is rectified to high voltage DC then switched at high frequency then stepped down by a a FERRITE transformer then rectified back to DC) this needs knowledge in power mosfets and their control + some micro controller knowledge to control duty cycles and sync and control the circuit . ( although you can design switched mode power supply without micro controller , using specialty ICs) look into microchip development kits and linear technology products .

hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.