Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Source conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mick101

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have this great little travel wifi router device but sometime I wished that I can just power it with just the USB port from my laptop.

But I am competly ignorant of electrical and circuit boards.
I was wondering if someone on this forum can help guide me?

Here are some pix of the device (inside and outside)

From what I gather, it needs 0.3A which should be OK as the USB ports can provide 0.5A (I think).

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Without the schematics of the device, it'll be hard to help you...

Here were I was intending to go with this.
Based on the photos (it's only the power supply portion of the device) can I find out what would be the output feed to the main circuit board?

It connects to the main board via the 4 pin connectors in the lower right from the 2nd photo. There is also a 2 pin connector but it doesn't seem to have any connections to the rest of the power supply circuits (maybe a switch of some sort).

In any case, I was thinking that I could bypass this entire power assembly, and feed a USB bus powered connection to the main circuit board. I just don't know which 2 pins to use from the 4 pin connector.

power it with just the USB port from my laptop.
as the USB ports can provide 0.5A (I think).

The USB port only provides 150 mA when you first connect something. A device must negotiate with the computer, in order to get 500 mA.

A search on 'enumeration' will turn up many threads on this subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back