Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Optimization of Digital CMOS VLSI Circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

vijai

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi

I am doing this project in my curriculum...so,please any body try to give solutions to this subject

Hi vijai

Actually the power optimization of CMOS VLSI circuits includes a lot of techniques that can be applied on different levels of abstraction throughout design flow. I think you need to start from studying the types of power dissipation in CMOS VLSI circuits. And then you can proceed with the techniques of power optimization for each type. I'll give you a brief description of power types and some of the optimization techniques. Generally, power dissipation in CMOS circuits is divided to dynamic power which is dissipated when circuit is in a working mode and static which corresponds to sleeping mode of a circuit. For optimization of a dynamic power can be applied the following techniques: clock gating, operand isolation, power gating, frequency/voltage scaling etc.. For optimization of static power the techniques that are usually applied are: multi Vth cells, body biasing etc..
So you need to do some research about power types, and optimization techniques mentioned above. Each of the optimization techniques mentioned above requires carefull consideration before application for a particular design.

Regards,
Arik

Hi Arik,

Thanks for your posting, it's very useful for me. I am studying the optimization techniques also. Can you write a more detailed article about ASIC design optimization ?

Regards,
N.L.Trung

Hi trungnl,

The power optimization topic is quite large and it is hard to discuss it inside one post. Better you'd do some research on the internet and find papers/articles/books about the topic.

Regards,
Arik

POwer optimization techniques on an ASIC would be in the higher design levels.

For example Gating of Clock at the top of the hierarchy. Or partial gating of the clock locally during CLock tree synthesis. Apart from this you can go for partial enablling of the parts inside the chip for example enable the memory only when used etc. But it has its own delay issues. Apart from that most of the chips these days also have a clock switching network which would basically switch the clock to a low frequency clock to save power. Another caution is to make sure that there is no high impedance busses or outputs which are floating. This will dramatically decrease the power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back