Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power driver for Ultra Power LED from Bridgelux BXRA-C4500

Status
Not open for further replies.

nedstar

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I buy a Ultra Power LED from Bridgelux, the BXRA-C4500 White but can not find a power driver so I have to make it by my self.

My question; can some of you tell me what is the best and easy way to make such a driver.
I need a voltage of 26.6 dc with a fixed current of 2.1 Amp, will be 55.86 watt.
The design has to be as small as possible because I want to use it as replacement for a beamer lamp.

Thanks

The cheapest solution probably is to buy a TV surplus SMPS from an electronic distributor, s. e.g.

Of course they deliver more power than you need, and may be they are too big for your application.

BTW: You always can adjust the ±12V or 24V to the required 26.6V .

Or adjust up to 30V and sacrifice a few Volts in order to get something similar to a constant current source for the LED array.

Last edited:

Thank erikl, its an interesting power unit for low price.
But I wonder how they made a drive for super led lightbulb of 220vac in a E27 fitting, for normal bright leds will be easy but how about the super leds who need more power like 10 - 20 up to 60 watt ?

Check the data sheet again. Voltage should be 25.6 for 2100 mA. **broken link removed**

Bridgelux offers sources for AC-DC drivers. Your product is on page 29 of this application note: **broken link removed**. Be sure to read note 1 at the bottom of the page.

max. light power from an E27 LED lamp

... but how about the super leds who need more power like 10 - 20 up to 60 watt ?
Hi nedstar,
max. power of a E27 LED lamp I know is 8W. This means electrical input power (what you have to pay for), from which perhaps 40% (max.) will be emitted as radiant (light) flux. The rest, i.e. about 5W of thermal power (heat) has to be "cooled away", and this is what just can be achieved with a E27 fitting equipped with cooling fins - probably with a surface temperature which you wouldn't touch for a long time :!:

If they claim more than that, it is always the input power of a comparable (Edison) incandescent lamp, which would radiate the same luminous flux with an efficiency of about 5% - and even this comparison quite often is just marketing bu.lsh.t :wink:

Re: max. light power from an E27 LED lamp

Hi nedstar,
max. power of a E27 LED lamp I know is 8W. This means electrical input power (what you have to pay for), from which perhaps 40% (max.) will be emitted as radiant (light) flux. The rest, i.e. about 5W of thermal power (heat) has to be "cooled away", and this is what just can be achieved with a E27 fitting equipped with cooling fins - probably with a surface temperature which you wouldn't touch for a long time :!:

If they claim more than that, it is always the input power of a comparable (Edison) incandescent lamp, which would radiate the same luminous flux with an efficiency of about 5% - and even this comparison quite often is just marketing bu.lsh.t :wink:

Thanks again erikl,

Yes I know for the Bridgelux BXRA-C4500 its impossible to use a E27 fitting, just only because of the heatsink with fan. I fit it on a Pc proc. Heatsink with little fan, this works good.
But because I want to build this in a beamer I also need a small power driver for input 230vac fixed output of 26vdc 2A (about 55 watt).
Next step will be to fool the beamer so it not switch off if I disconnect the original lamp.

Another question is, I also have the Bridgelux BXRA-W0240 which need a power driver of 230vac output 13vdc 350mA (about 4.5 watt). I wonder today you can buy power led spots – lamps of many watts, how they made such a power driver for a E27 fitting. Is there someone who has a schematic design for such power driver.

---------- Post added at 15:50 ---------- Previous post was at 14:39 ----------

Thanks KJ6EAD,

The voltage range for Bridgelux BXRA-C4500 is from 23.4 min to 27,4 max according datasheet of Bridgelux.

Re: Power driver for Ultra Power LED from Bridgelux BXRA-C4500

... small power driver for input 230vac fixed output of 26vdc 2A (about 55 watt).
For driving LEDs or LED arrays it is better to use something like a CCS (Constant Current Source). An appropriate SMPS-CCS would provide a constant current of 2A relatively independent of the individual array and of temperature. Again, s. p. 29 of the AN which KJ6EAD linked to (above).

Next step will be to fool the beamer so it not switch off if I disconnect the original lamp.
Don't quite understand:-?. You better switch off, before you disconnect the lamp:!:

... need a power driver of 230vac output 13vdc 350mA (about 4.5 watt). I wonder today you can buy power led spots – lamps of many watts
Told you above: many watts ≤ 8W (in an E27 fitting). If it's more than that, the AC/DC converter (SMPS-CCS in that case) is external of the lamp, in an extra case.

... how they made such a power driver for a E27 fitting. Is there someone who has a schematic design for such power driver.
See the companies listed on p. 30 of the AN which KJ6EAD linked to. Many of them provide appropriate schematic solutions for use with their power ICs. For high power LED driving (≥≈10W) however, they are independent (external) of the lamp, usually rather complex, need one or more specialized transformers and a thoroughly designed PCboard layout, s. e.g. this 1A-driver from NXP: View attachment NXP_75W_mains_dimmable_LED_driver.pdf - not necessarily advisable to be rebuilt for a low volume product.

IMHO it's much easier to adapt a cheap surplus SMPS as suggested above.

For driving LEDs or LED arrays it is better to use something like a CCS (Constant Current Source). An appropriate SMPS-CCS would provide a constant current of 2A relatively independent of the individual array and of temperature. Again, s. p. 29 of the AN which KJ6EAD linked to (above).

Don't quite understand:-?. You better switch off, before you disconnect the lamp:!:

Told you above: many watts ≤ 8W (in an E27 fitting). If it's more than that, the AC/DC converter (SMPS-CCS in that case) is external of the lamp, in an extra case.

See the companies listed on p. 30 of the AN which KJ6EAD linked to. Many of them provide appropriate schematic solutions for use with their power ICs. For high power LED driving (≥≈10W) however, they are independent (external) of the lamp, usually rather complex, need one or more specialized transformers and a thoroughly designed PCboard layout, s. e.g. this 1A-driver from NXP: View attachment 50909 - not necessarily advisable to be rebuilt for a low volume product.

IMHO it's much easier to adapt a cheap surplus SMPS as suggested above.

Thanks.

1. What I mean with Next step will be to fool the beamer so it not switch off if I disconnect the original lamp.
First of all, of course first I switch off the power before disconnect the original beamer lamp.
But after you disconnect an original beamer lamp, the beamer refuse to switch on.
With other words, I want to get off from the original beamer lamp and instead of I want to use the C4500 LED lamp.

For an extended power driver of the 13vdc 350mA I use now just a standard 12vdc 1A power unit, that gives me just the right value. This standard 12vdc power unit give an output of 13.1vdc the current is just a little to high 380mA but with an resiter of 2 Ohm between gives me 330mA, so this works fine. But the challenge is to make it so small that it fits in a E27 like you buy in a shop.

For an extended power driver of the 13vdc 350mA I use now just a standard 12vdc 1A power unit, that gives me just the right value. This standard 12vdc power unit give an output of 13.1vdc the current is just a little to high 380mA but with an resiter of 2 Ohm between gives me 330mA, so this works fine. But the challenge is to make it so small that it fits in a E27 like you buy in a shop.

I'd just slaughter such an E27 LED lamp and use (or try and copy) it.

I just hope someone els did it.

What about using a mains plug SMPS power supply, like

You need a mains plug anyway, so why shouldn't it include the power supply? So you save volume, weight and heat in your beamer - just put the series resistor into the beamer case!

For the smaller power leds I use now just a mains plug 12v power unit of an old switch - hub, that just works fine.
But for the Bridgelux BXRA-C4500 I need more heavy, in your link I see they have and its a good idea but on an earlier
link of KJ6EAD pointing to pdf of Bridgelux with a list of LED Drivers for the C4500 I also see good stuf, the only problem
is how to order because no of this drivers I can find by electronic suppliers.

However, all the replies on this subject helps me because it send me to the right directions and thinking and therefore
I like to thank you all for the good advice.

Just keep thinking and if you find somewhere useful info for me just please let me know.

This is the manufacturer of the power supply that Bridgelux recommends for a single BXRA-C4500 (Inventronics EUC-075S210ST): **broken link removed**. You'd have to email them for a source in your area.

You could use the Recom RACD60–2100, available from Rutronik: https://www.rutronik.nl/index.php?id=155&tx_clcompanydatabase_pi1[showUid][showUID]=89&tx_clcompanydatabase_pi1[showUid][backPID]=236&cHash=9393dffc2d51628ecd51a58771dbdf01 or you could use the XP Power DLA75PS2100-A, available from Farnell: **broken link removed**.

Thanks KJ6EAD for the links, very useful.
I buy the leds by Farnell but could not find the driver, although this driver is very expensive it gives me some hope.
Rutronic I still have to check.

Thanks again.

if you find somewhere useful info for me just please let me know.
for installation into a case, for an acceptable price, I think.

Also available as s. item no. 95071. For your BXRA-C4500 application, you could use 2 of them in parallel.

That's just fine, nedstar!
I recommend to install a serial resistor (≈ 0.5Ω / ≥4W) anyway, as the power driver doesn't necessarily limit its current to 2.5A (the output current limitation is 105%-150% of Iout max.).

Good luck! erikl

You will not get 2.1A through your device with 24V! You will get ~1A and only ~2000 lm.

You will not get 2.1A through your device with 24V!
Fortunately the SMPS has a +/- 10% voltage adjustment. But it's not necessarily suited for constant curent operation, so a current limiting resistor may be possibly needed. Some SMPS have true constant current mode and adjustable current limit.

Even if you can get 26.4V out, you only have headroom for 0.38Ω additional resistance. You could get that with a long piece of wire or a couple of dirty connectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.