Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power detector simulations

lucasN

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
Can anyone help me with rf power detector simulations in cadence(sensitivity and dynamic range)
What do I have to do to simulate them in cadence?

If you look at the RFin.vs.Vout Curve of a RF Power Detector, there is a region limited by lowest and highest RF Power Level. This is your dynamic Range.
For your circuit, you presumably define a lowest limit and a highest limit then observe Vout vs. RF in Power by vary the Input RF power.
Either you can do this test with PSS or HB. They will both give the same result. For instance, the curve below, the error has been taken as a reference and where the detector error exceeds +-3dB, the dynamic range is defined.
But this is no possible to see this type of dynamic range because the detector will produce somehow a voltage even at very low or high levels. In order to define this dynamic range, choose a low Vout limit and high Vout limit then do your simulation.
1708695985033.png

How to plot detector error and what does it represent?
what about sensitivity?
It's impossible to get this error by simulations because they are measurement based. This circuit is measured with a precise Power Measurment System and the results are compared to ICs response. This represent the precision/accuracy of the detector.
Unfortunately the only way to define Dynamic Range and Accuracy of the Detector is to measure. I don't think simulations can give these results. Because you don't have any reference value to compare with in simulations.

It's impossible to get this error by simulations because they are measurement based. This circuit is measured with a precise Power Measurment System and the results are compared to ICs response. This represent the precision/accuracy of the detector.
Unfortunately the only way to define Dynamic Range and Accuracy of the Detector is to measure. I don't think simulations can give these results. Because you don't have any reference value to compare with in simulations.
So how do I design a power detector and what should I simulate to design it?
I thought that the most important specs are DR and sensitivity.

So how do I design a power detector and what should I simulate to design it?
I thought that the most important specs are DR and sensitivity.
I have already told you but you didn't read my suggestions.
Define a low voltage limit and high voltage limit and vary the Input Power.
When lowest or highest limit start to shrink so no meaningful changes in voltage limits (in other words compression at limit levels.) these point are your highest and lowest RF limits.
And the range between these two limits is dynamic range. But measurements will give you the exact dynamic range and error.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back