Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power calc in 2D FDTD not a Poynting vector

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobilgner

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is the relationship of the signal power calculation in the 2D FDTD to the Poynting vector?

I measure my signal power from a TE FDTD calculation with the formula :

Power in (watt/m^2) = 0.5 * sqrt((Ex*Hz)*(Ex*Hz) + (Ey*Hz)*(Ey*Hz)) with the wave propagating in the positive x direction.

Is this approach valid or should one not even contemplate this for 2D modelling ?

Hi bobilgner,

Are you looking for the time-averaged Poynting vector? Recall that this is derived from ExH*. As far as I know your approach is otherwise correct for FDTD, but I am not a computational electromagnetics expert.

Hi bobilgner,

Are you looking for the time-averaged Poynting vector? Recall that this is derived from ExH*. As far as I know your approach is otherwise correct for FDTD, but I am not a computational electromagnetics expert.

I am looking to calculate the power of the signal in watt at a specific point. Imagine the signal propagating away from a vertical dipole antenna. Because of the symmetry in my layout I can use the 2D FDTD, but how can I determine the power in the signal at some y(vertical) and x(horizontal). I have used

Power in (watt/m^2) = 0.5 * sqrt((Ex*Hz)*(Ex*Hz) + (Ey*Hz)*(Ey*Hz))

but the results look unexpected. I would expect some drop-off proportional to 1/r^2, but do not get this.

You probably do want the time averaged Poynting vector then.

Are the individual fields fields correct (i.e. decay with distance)?

You were right of course. I calculated the quadrature (RMS) time average of the power and everything looked good. Decay was according to theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back