Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

power-aware simulations

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitint08

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Please tell which are the simulators being used for performing power-aware simulations.
and which wave-form viewers are used.
For example, a signal can go to different voltage values during different power-configurations.
Does this kind of scaling can be observed in power-aware waveform viewer.

NitinT

ModelSim / VCS / Incisive all support UPF, to varying extents, providing you have the right license, for power-aware simulation.

They don't model voltages like an analog simulator, but you can see why power domain signals are in.

with power aware digital simulation, you will see want a signal becomes un-powered, memories un-powered, every thing you should expect from a digital designer which will implement via UPF or CPF some power constraints.

Thus if supply-rail VDD having 4 different voltage levels
1. 0.8V (max leakage saving)
2. 0.0V (i.e. OFF-state)
3. 1.0V
4. 1.2V (i.e. FULL-ON, max switching)

Than with power-aware simulation, I can see this power-rail being switched between these voltage values. Is that correct?

Yes with upf/cpf (dependant of the simulator), you will the state of the memories/signal/flop dependant of your 4 power modes.
In our case you are close to have only two power modes, but the VDD could have three values, right?

I have only mentioned single supply having different states to put my querry in simple way but in actual there 15 supplies
being working which are driving respective domains.

Thus in simulation, I can see VDD transition as below (attached GIF) over different supplies

Attachments

• vdd.GIF
    vdd.GIF
    2.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

You are talking about the Voltage Aware simulations rather than the PA. I dont think any of the digital simulators (MVSIM, Questa-PA, or Verdi-PA) will support the Voltage Aware simulations. You cant really distinguish between the voltages and the same will not converted inside the design to corrupt if the scaling is out of bound.

-paulki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back