Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power and data by two wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

togarha

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi!

I want to send data and power supply by two wires up to 100m.

- Power supply must be 5V in remote system, it can be bigger by the two wires and regulated by an 7805 or similar in remote.

- Data is preferable to be RS-485...

How can I make the two systems? What max baudrate can I have?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

umup said:
RS485 can't use 2 wires, minimum 3 (without power).

Are you sure what are you talking about? I think no, RS-485 (Half-duplex) only uses 2 wires ( A , B ). It no needs more wires, it's a balanced transmission...

But, RS-485 is not necessary, can be any protocol that can send data up to 100m in the same wire that vcc...

Regards,

Are you sure what are you talking about? I think no, RS-485 (Half-duplex) only uses 2 wires ( A , B ). It no needs more wires, it's a balanced transmission...
Yes, it will work without ground connection, but it is recommended always connect ground together :
**broken link removed** :
Signals A and B are complementary,but this doesn’t imply that one signal is a current return for the other. RS-485 is not a current loop. The drivers and receivers must share a common ground. This is
why “two-wire network” is a misnomer when applied to RS-485.

You asked :
I want to send data and power supply by two wires up to 100m
. Power and signal transmission usually done with 4-20mA current loop, HART used for digital data transmission through analog current loop

But I suppose that HART needs more extra components than other protocols that can be implemented...

I'm not sure of that, but I think so...

about the three wires, connecting the gnd wire of the two systems can make an error, it is better to put an opto-isolator than short the two grounds...

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back