Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power amplifier failure

dolgaleb

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
A high power amplifier was tested under high altitude and high temperature conditions, and it failed. In inspecting the board we noticed that the power amplifier was shorted and the inductor in the drain line was open. It is my understanding that under altitude conditions there is no much flow of air such that the power amplifier gets hotter, but I don't know if this would justify the failure. Can anyone provide an insight as to why the PA could have failed? Its output power is 5 W and it operates at 406 MHz.

Regards,
dolgaleb

A high power amplifier was tested under high altitude and high temperature conditions, and it failed. In inspecting the board we noticed that the power amplifier was shorted and the inductor in the drain line was open. It is my understanding that under altitude conditions there is no much flow of air such that the power amplifier gets hotter, but I don't know if this would justify the failure. Can anyone provide an insight as to why the PA could have failed? Its output power is 5 W and it operates at 406 MHz.

Regards,
dolgaleb
If the PA was shorted and the Drain Inductor was broken, we can conclude that the FET was shorted and so much current was flown so the inductor was burnt.
There might be few reasons to make it happen. But we need to know what type of components you have been used?
If you used consumer type components, they are not very sustainable for extreme conditions.
Post your schematic and component list here, let's see. The layout is also important, post it here too.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back