Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Possible to connect this LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madadz

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

I have recently purchased a drum machine off ebay with a broken LCD. I searched around on the internet for a replacement LCD of the same type but couldn't find anything.

However I did find one that is the same resolution for Arduino projects. It is a 240 x 64 resolution graphic LCD.

The problem is the Drum Machine has 10 pins from the mainboard to the LCD module, where as the Arduino LCD module has 20 pins.

Now I would like to know if it is possible to connect the 10 pins that the broken LCD module uses to the 20 pin Arduino LCD module, and whether it would work?

I have attached the pin out diagram and schematic for both units. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

lcd2.pnglcd3.png
lcd1.png

Unfortunately you need to find one with the correct interface. I guess the Akai is serial but from the naming I am not sure which type. The Arduino one is parallel.

Also, in order for it to work it needs the same chipset on the LCD so the commands to the LCD will work. A new one seems expensive https://www.mpcstuff.com/lcd-screen-for-mpc-3000-and-mpc.html

Keith.

Unfortunately you need to find one with the correct interface. I guess the Akai is serial but from the naming I am not sure which type. The Arduino one is parallel.

Also, in order for it to work it needs the same chipset on the LCD so the commands to the LCD will work. A new one seems expensive https://www.mpcstuff.com/lcd-screen-for-mpc-3000-and-mpc.html

Keith.

Thanks for the reply Keith.

Yeah that was one option but not for that price lol.

Is there anyway for example to build / buy a serial to parallel converter. Just trying to weigh up my options before considering to bite the bullet and buy the overpriced replacement

Thanks

If you can find out what the protocol/interface of the old LCD is then anything is possible. If it is I2C, for example, you could use a microcontroller to take the I2C data from the Akai and send it to a parallel LCD and send the appropriate response back. Quite a project though, even when you have the data.

Are there any identifying marks, names or numbers on the old LCD? If you could identify it then it would be a good start.

Keith.

It's currently late here at the moment.

Tomorrow when I get back from work ill rip open the Akai and have a look at what chips it runs for driving the LCD and will post back.

Once again thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back