Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

port characteristic impedance =? port input impedance

Status
Not open for further replies.

SIQ

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am not clear if port characteristic impedance is just port input impedance? If I use the lumped port, does Z parameter Z11 represent the input impedance? what is difference if I use Zpi, Zpv, Zvi to calculate the z parameter, will they be have the same value?
thx!

port characteristic impedance != port input impedance

strictly speaking there is no "port characteristic impedance". It should be called "mode characteristic impedance". A port can support more than 1 propagating modes. But normally there is only one mode, most likely a quasi-tem mode. but this impedance is the "characteristic" of a mode in a transmission line.

port input impedance is the impedance looking into the whole circuit through the port. so it is a character of the circuit. and if you have many other ports, it depends on the loads connected to those ports too.

Hi,

Thanks to correct my concept! While could you answer me for other questions:

in HFSS, If I use the lumped port, does Z parameter Z11 represent the input impedance? what is difference if I use Zpi, Zpv, Zvi to calculate the z parameter, do they have the same value?
thx!

Hi,

Thanks to correct my concept! While could you answer me for other questions:

in HFSS, If I use the lumped port, does Z parameter Z11 represent the input impedance? what is difference if I use Zpi, Zpv, Zvi to calculate the z parameter, do they have the same value?
thx!

Z11 should be the input impedance. But however, if u use a lumped port instead of waveport, u may hardly get the characteristic impedance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back