Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pole zero simulation result

Status
Not open for further replies.

sj95

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all:

spice simulation tell me

poles ( hertz)
real imag
-1.59158 0.
-79.5759k 0.

zeros ( hertz)
real imag
0. 355.881
0. -355.881

that says there is 2 zero at 355.881 Hz? how about the minus sign ? what's its meaning?

thanks

- - - Updated - - -

And

poles ( hertz)
real imag
-837.259k 0.
-2.01350x 2.29293x
-2.01350x -2.29293x

that say pole 1 at 837.259kHz ?
But how about P2 and P3 , that are at 2.01350xHZ ?

tks

First example:
Both zeros are symmetrically located on the imaginary axis of the s-plane. This is a typical property of a bandstop function.

Second example:
It is a third-order system with one real pole and two conjugate-complex poles. The pole frequency of this pole pair is the MAGNITUDE - composed of the real and imaginary part ( SQRT(R^2 + Im^2) ) .

heya Sj95

Let me elaborate a bit on what LvW already said ,

To understand the physical meaning let us first agree that we are giving a sinusoidal input to the system say Asinwt and measuring the amplitude and phase shift the output say B(w).sin(wt + Phi(w) )

->Clearly the gain is B(w)/A and phase shift produced by the system is pHi(w)

->Note that both gain and phase shift can be functions of the frequency w , as they usually are and fully described by the transfer function

H(w) = K.{ ( jw - z1 ) ( jw - z2) ...} / {(jw -p1 )(jw-p2)... }

-> Now our objective is to move along jw axis and measure the gain and the phase shift provided by the system

"While there is nothing real like negative frequency , or even negative numbers or even complex numbers , but by extending our mathematics to these domains we can correctly compute the behavior of the system to the real frequencies " , so when you see that there is a zero at -jw1 and -jw2, although you never can give a input with frequency -w1 , the mathematics still allows you to compute the output for any frequency w > 0 , so the zero at negative frequency has a meaning in a way that it effects the amplitude and phase shift that your system provides at any real frequency "

What transfer function above gives you is the system response (Amp and Phase ) to input A.e^jwt ( a complex number ) , but if you know the response at A.e^jwt and A.e^-jwt , you can calculate the response by superimposition for A.sinwt ( your real frequency)

as sinwt = (e^jwt - e^-jwt)/2

It is now easy to see why your first system is a bandstop , For complex Input A.e^j(0. 355.881 )t the output(complex) is zero and for the complex Input A.e^j(-0. 355.881 )t also the output (complex) is zero , if you now combine the two inputs and do the superposition the output for Asinwt (real ) is also zero

I know its not very clear but I have tried my best .

Hi Gasingh,

nice sentence:

"While there is nothing real like negative frequency , or even negative numbers or even complex numbers , but by extending our mathematics to these domains we can correctly compute the behavior of the system to the real frequencies " , so when you see that there is a zero at -jw1 and -jw2, although you never can give a input with frequency -w1 , the mathematics still allows you to compute the output for any frequency w > 0 , so the zero at negative frequency has a meaning in a way that it effects the amplitude and phase shift that your system provides at any real frequency "

As you have used quotation marks I assume somebody else has created this sentence. What/who is the source?

Hi Gasingh,

nice sentence:

As you have used quotation marks I assume somebody else has created this sentence. What/who is the source?

Thanks for Liking :) , With all humbleness, its my own line .

Status
Not open for further replies.