Not open for further replies.

eem2am

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

Ive just been handed a flyback transformer with one primary and one bias, and two secondaries which are 5v and 16v......so its a 5v winding which is the lower part of the 16v winding also...(autotransformer winding)

i happen to know which pins are connected to which winding but not which way round...........without powering up, how can i quickest check which way round the dots are.?
i have no winding diagram.

Can you scetch up the transformer itself?

Is it important that primary and secondary side is not conductive to each other?

Reactions: eem2am

eem2am

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi, You can simply check this with a low power square wave generator. Set the freq. to something like 200Khz and connect it to one winding. You can now check the other windings with an oscilloscope.

Cheers

eem2am

The above is the best way, I have the gear now but when I was broke I had to do stuff without it.
I have tried a battery and a compass for this, but thats a little rough.
A quick way is to measure the inductance of a winding, then connect another of the windings in series with it, if the inductance goes up then the 2 are in phase, you have the start of one connected to the end of the other, if the inductance reduces then you have them out of phase.
Its only a guide, but this has worked for me when I couldnt be bothered going to the car to get the gear.

eem2am

Status
Not open for further replies.