Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PMOS have a lower flicker noise than NMOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidwong

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
why flicker noise is more in nmos than pmos

I heard that PMOS have a lower flicker noise than NMOS?
Is it correct?

Yes it is correct.

Yes PMOS has lesser flicker noise than NMOS. Flicker noise is observed only when a DC current flows. Since mobility of NMOS is greater than PMOS, flicker noise is larger in NMOS(for the same W/L).

For the same current,
will PMOS still have the lower flicker noise?

yes it will, because of the reason suhas_shiv mentioned. It has lower mobility.

I think it's related to the surface state of the MOS device. Since the semiconductor and the oxide layer has some interface charge, it causes interface traps, which is more serious for electrons than for holes.

flicker noise is due to the random trapping and releasing of the electrons or holes in the interface.
as electrons have more mobility than holes,so they will have more random trappings.
so more flicker noise for nmos devices.

I think that this is technology dependent. It is a common-saying that PMOS has better flicker but you have to check if this is valid for your technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.