Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

plz provide inputs for coming interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

masai_mara

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi guys,
I need your help. I have got an interview coming up with an asic company for frontend design position.
I know VHDL quite well and also verilog. I have worked as a design/verification engineer for about a year and know about issues related to systhesis and simulation. but much of my experience has been working on fpga stuff. so please give me as many pointers as you can on what areas to target for preparation.

thanks for all your help.

Since you have been called for interview for frontend design, so the following area you should know properly
a. IP(intellectual property basics)
b. clear idea of setup and hold time
c. little idea about synthesis
d. design flow

u hav working experience,,, u shouldn't worry anything bout it,,,,

and always put in mind tht u can always find another job (it will make u stronger?),,,, so no worry,,,,

i am here to support u mentally... heheheh... also put in mind tht.....:)

anyway,,, i think u post in the wrong section,,,,

regards,
sp

my be they would ask u how ur coding methodology would change in case of asics compared to fpga's.since ub have work ex they should not be testing in simple stuff which they usually do for freshers.they would ask u about the projects u have worked on athe role u have played in those.one of the most important things i feel since i have been successful recently(after a few attempts) is a positive atitude.know that u are going to be tested to the fullest extent possible,also try finding out the requirement of the interviewer read his mind carefully and base ur answers upon them.also be flexible in what ever u say.these should help.

regards
amarnath

concentrate on your resume and make sure you remeber clearly each project you invovled and which role you have played and how did you play?

Good Luck!

Can anyone be more specific ablout IP (Intellectual property Basics)? If someone can share the docs, links or examples of technical relevance. I can just see the Legal issues & nothing beyond that.

Hi,
Be thorough with everything u put on your resume, especially ur recent project/current project. U should be ready to explain ur project in detail, specifications , ur role etc. Also questions about RTL code, setup and hold time issues, Verification methods, and knowledge about tools. etc.
Good luck,
Cheers

Design flow (Spec, coding, verification(rtl simulation ,post simulation),synthesis, formal verification, P&R,and so on)

setup and hold time issue

You have joined in projects. the gate counter ,and complexity. and the struct diag.

Prepare a short brief introduce yourself

Good luck!

Focus on what you can ,not what you cannot.

Find a chance to show you are a good engineer, for example:
You bumped into some problem on your old project, how did you
solve it? how did you search in net, asking workmate,and looking up in books.

It's the working ethnic company is looking for.

1. Keep a copy of ur resume while having a telecon.
2. Be calm and attend call in a quite place..not in an hotel or on Road.
3. You should know all what you have written in ur resume.
4. For face to face interviw, be well dressed ..no need of tie ....and blazer.....its ok if you are in India.
5. Be good with your basics...normally good companies try to catch you on ur basics and later drag u on with ur projects n all.

Dont be rude while u answer be it even if u have got couple of offers..

All the best,

Gold_kiss

If the company cotacted you to set for an interview, upon your resume , then :

1- You need to be good in all what you wrote in your resume .. cuz some companies do ask about every single thing in the resume .. so, be ware and don't put "too much" of what you don't really know in your resume .. and if you used a tool once of even couple of times, don't say u know it .. put it in "other tools" section.

2- If you are not very confident of something .. say "familiar with".

3- Take care of all the basics .. don't apply for a communication systems position when u r not familiar with FFT ..

4- As the position is ASIC, then you need to know very well the complete flow of the ASIC .. no need to master the flow, but to know all the phases .. and the sequence ..

5- If they want you to write RTL , then u need to have some skills like : clock division .. clock gating .. libraries .. DesignWare IP's .. coding guidelines .. coding for lowe power design .. coding for low gate count .. coding for reusability and reconfigurability .. portable designs .. bus systems (like AMBA) .. etc.

6- At least you need to master one RTL simulation tool like ModelSim or NC ..

7- Test Bench design .. test vector generation ..

8- be at least a user-level in linux .. with some bash knowledge ..

9- be 'familiar' with at least one scripting language .. like Perl or TCL

10- you need to know everything about the project you have done in you previous job .. with emphasis on the latest .. and be ready to answer any question about ur role in these projects .. and don't always claim success when there is fail (in projects).

11- AGAIN : if you master what you wrote in your CV .. and this is the CV that they called u upon receiving it .. then u don't need to know beyond it .. they are the ones who chose u with this set of skills ..

12- if you are hesitating an answer, be brave and say : sorry .. I don't want to say something that I'm not very confident with .. it's much better than saying a wrong thing in an interview !

13- be fresh and confident .. and whatever happens .. remember that it's not the end of the world ..

14- after the interview .. don't keep bugging the HR on his email asking for the result .. this may affect ur salary sometimes :)

*They may ask u write small small codings, so revise it...
*If u put STA in ur resume, there is a chance to ask the questions abt set-up &
Hold violation?...
*They may be ask " what r all the practical difficulties that u had "?...
*Be calm, confident when u r answering...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back