Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PLL: Regarding Charge pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pll reverso

Hi all,
Please help me finding a respose to this question.
In practicle the output frequency of a VCO is a function of the value of the controlling voltage input Vc. If we assume that the VCO power Supply is 3 V and taht it should be between 1V and 2 V. Suppose that the output frequency of the VCO is supposed to be maintained at f_o. This means that I have to maintain the voltage Vc (which is the output of the charge pump circuit) stable. ( let say at 1.5 V ).
We know that, if Vc increase f decrease and Vice versa.
My question is
When we have f=f_o then we must have Vc=1.5 which is not the case since the output of the Charge pump in such situation is zero.
In other word, how to design circuit that:
- decreases Vc when f<f_o
- increase Vc when f>f_o
- Maintain Vc=1.5V if f=f_o ?

I know solution that use the Amp op in order to perform the comparaison task but I'm looking for the most simple circuit responding to my question.

a very simple way , reverse the two input of the PFD , is is always a trick done

or reverse the output of the PFD make up used as down and down as up

khouly

Hi ,
First of all, happy new year hijri 1429.
Thanks Khouly for your reply. But I think you misunderstood my question.

See, when the 2 inputs of the PFD have the same frequency and are in phase, UP and Down are zero. In ths case I like to have Vc=1.5 V.

as the PLL start , the two input are not the same , specially the VCO will start in the free running , then the feedback action will begin to develop the voltage on the Vcrtl and then the loop willbe stable , so the voltage will still as required

khouly

Please take a look to the document that I sent you in PM. My problem is that when 0<Vc<1 V or 2<Vc<3V the VCO output is not a periodic sine, not stable and the signal is very weak.
In my case, your last reply becames valid only if we garantee that Vc is always between 1 and 2 V.

There is a steady-state error between the two input of the PFD which would make the input of the VCO to maintain 1.5V

i saw the document , the problem is when the Vc is out of the range , the VCO is not functioning proberly

u need to try transient simulation , and check the
pefromance

the output of the VCO not necessay to be sinwave , specially it will pass through divider so to will be look like didigtal pulse to the PFD

so it is ok

khouly

khouly said:
i saw the document , the problem is when the Vc is out of the range , the VCO is not functioning proberly

u need to try transient simulation , and check the
pefromance

the output of the VCO not necessay to be sinwave , specially it will pass through divider so to will be look like didigtal pulse to the PFD

so it is ok

khouly

Yes.
Note that in my PLL I didn't represent the sine to Square converter (a 2 stage of inverter between the VCO and the freq divider). Transient simulation shows a random curves (for exemple for Vc=350 mV starting from 65 ns in the simulation).

mmm , it is strange , i think u need to modify ur VCO to work with the PLL

khouly

only simulate the VCO to check that when control voltage equals to 1.5, whether the VCO frequency could need the requiment ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back