Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PLL: Cycle slipping detector, lock detection, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

wylee

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
cycle slipping pll

Referring to the circuit posted by safwatonline,

For lock detection,

what are the problems/disadvantages of using a cycle slip detector (cycle slipping detector) connected as below?

1. Will there be any false detection? (e.g: when same clocks phase but different frequencies)
2. How accurrate is the detector?

pll cycle slip

There two different topics here:

1. Lock detection
2. Cycle slip detection

The circuit above detect a single slip. The slip detection is used to

a. accumulate the slips to have a phase synchronious switching between 2 frequencies
b. increase gain of the chargepump if some slips accumulate (only 1 slip decrease stability) to speedup settling

Lock detection used different circuits to have various trades of lock phase range, sensitivity,..

Re: PLL: Cycle slipping detector, lock detection, please hel

Reply from safwatonline,

Hello wylee,
i dont have too much information about the lock detector except the basic operation, but here is what i think anyway:
the cycle slipping seems to be good and simple way to detect the lock but it has a main disadvantage that u cannot accuratly detect the lock as in some application like in CDR u need to get the lock detection in terms of UI and switch to the phase allignment loop acording to this value (and vice versa), but on the other hand it makes a really simple solution for non-accurate detection, if u want an accurate detection i suggest the counter methode.
anyway to be exactly sure , there is an obvious solution which is making a large signal model \"using verilog-A for instance\" and do some simulations , this must be done anyway \"i guess\" during the PLL design and if u choosed to do the Cycle slipping Lock Detector then as u can see it is nothing more than the extra to FF\'s which u should have already made in ur model.
sorry that i couldn\'t help any more .
regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back