Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

please share your MPLAB X experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

poorchava

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everybody,

I'm currently using mplab 8.53 and thinkking about migrating to MPLAB X. What are your experiences with it when it comes to comparison with old mplab editions? I heard that it doesn't support Pickit 2, is that true?

Are there features that really make huge difference (in your opinion)? Maybe something that makes coding faster? Or makes code more clear? Maybe ability to wrap up functions (Visual Studio 2007 style)? Is this so much unstable/buggy as Microchip says on their website?

Any comment will be valuable.

I am still usng MPLAB 8.80 for 'live' projects but MPLABX looks very good to me, expecially as it runs with Linux. That's one less program I have to keep running Windows for!

I have it installed, it does support PicKit 2 and almost all other programmers/debuggers. There are still a few problems with it but these are being fixed as quickly as possible, most are to do with computer configuration rather than MPLABX itself. I will start using it for new projects in the near future, I might wait until the next version is released to give it more time for bugs to be ironed out.

Brian.

Does the mplab x installer detect installed cimpiler suites? I've got c18 and c30 installed. Will the installer detect those automatically? Or will i have to configure licences and stuff manually?

Also, does mplab x install overwrite mplab 8.xx? Or they install "next to each other"

I think it will either detect them automatically or give you the option to do it manually. To be honest, I use other apllications for high level languages but MPLAB/MPLABX for assember programs.

MPLABX will install as a completely new program, it will not change or remove any older versions.

Brian.

Hi guys,

Can I ask what you both think about MplabX now V1.10 has been out a while.

For assembler use , is it worth upgrading or stick with v8.8n ?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.