Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

please choose a dsp for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddt694

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i want to learn a dsp processor, but which one should i choose? TI's or ADI's ?

for float points, the candidates are from adsp21065 and tms320vc33.

for fixed points, i want to choose from adsp218x, adsp219x, adsp-bf53x,
tms320c54xx, c55xx.

i prefer ADI's to TI's, because most of ADI's devices, such as ADC,DAC, amplifier, DDS, are robust and very easy to use.

but i have to face the fact that in the dsp market TI is the number one,
despite that tms320 series are more complicated and harder to grasp than adsp series.

now, i am very confused.

In DSP World, Texas Instruments are best.

For example TMS320C6711-300Mhz @ 1800MFLOPS about 30$ cost.
ADI don't have any processor that have perfomance/cost ratio better that TI.

For example TMS320VC5502 - 11$ 200Mhz@400MIPS.

TI is the best but I chose ADI because ADSP is very easy in use. Check www.bdti.com to know more information about DSPs.

It is not principial - firstly you must study DSP algorithms and their realization on C. Concret type os DSP you choose in real development for real task.

For many years, I have used TI's DSPs for doing different kind of projects, Specialy I have used TMS320C31 and TMS320C7611 floating point, and TMS320C6201 fixed point DSP.
I accept that TI's DSPs are difficult, and time consuming to understand a learn, and I think that Analog Devices products are easier to learn. However, When it comes to system performance, cost, power consumption and factors like these, I think we should accept some difficulties and choose the better, more powerful DSP.
Recently, TI has worked a lot, on it's code composer studio. for example, The TMS320C6711 DSK, can be linked with matlab very very easily, you will not need to type even one line of TMS code, instead you can design your entire system using simulink it matlab. and so, you see how easy and fast is the work.
Code libraries: I do not know how complete, is the code library of analog devices. for TI, I know that they have even a simple, easy to learn, easy to configure operating system for their DSPs. they have implemented most of DSP functions, like FFT, Wavelets, ... for their DSPs ... and ...
Hum! Result:
Choose the one who is more powerful.

What do you want to make by dsp ?
Which internal peripherals must be have ?

TI produces signal processors and motion control processors, these are
DSP.

You must select a DSP for your applications.

I want to using dsp in wireless communication .

I am very familiar to wireless communication algorithms, espacially synchrinization algorithms. I had realized some algorithms by using FPGA, such as digital receiver, demodulator, adaptive equlizer, FEC, direct sequence spread spectrum etc.

As for dsp, i am a layman.

FYI, TI's C54xx/C55xx are used in most of today's mobile phones, that is, if your interest is in wireless.

MGPC

ADSP-218x are ideal for battery powered systems, because they have lowest power consumption:
- 25mA @ 1.8V 80MIPS
- 6.5mA @ 1.8V Idle
- 100uA @ 1.8V Power down
But they are 16 bit fixed point, for many users too slow...

ADSP218x are somewhat too old.

Datasheet from my ADSP-2189N, (ADSP-218x family) has revison 0 and year of printing 2001. Family ADSP-219x is newer... I don't think so there are old....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back