Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Placing a fss on an antenna

rf_kid005

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I was wondering if it's possible to place a bandpass fss on an slot antenna in order to have a pec plate outside of the operating frequency band of the slot antenna.
Is it possible to place the fss right on the slot? If not what would be the physical reasons to need a minimum distance between slot and fss?

Welcome, rf_kid005

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what you mean by "in order to have a pec plate outside of the operating frequency band of the slot antenna". Can you elaborate?

In general, FSSs are designed to operate on plane-wave modes. By placing the FSS close to other objects, you'll typically excite a large number of modes on the surface, and you might not get the response you are looking for (not to mention detuning of the slot).

Thank you for your quick response. Regarding the pec plate my idea is to make the fss, which is placed between the slot edges (inside the), behave like a pec sheet for all frequencies except the operating frequency of my slot antenna i.e. an incident plane wave (approaching the slot antenna) shall show the same reflection properties as it would show on a pec plate for all frequencies except the operating frequency of the slot antenna because the fss is supposed to be 'transparent' in the operating band of the slot.

Properties such "pec sheet" and others refer to the impedance seen by a plane-wave mode. Since in the near field of a radiating body, you will have a larger set of modes, so you may see unwanted behaviors. But, your setup might still accomplish its purpose. It's hard to say for sure in the generalized sense.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back