Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] PIC18F4520 and PIC18F4620 code compatibility....

Status
Not open for further replies.

niksmitcoe55

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have one code of ZIGBEE module for 18F4620 but I have PIC18F4520 µC and I want to burn this code in 18F4520. Can it possible to do this without making change in code? Please reply urgent....
:sad:

Hi,

The only real difference between the chips is the size of the program, ram and eeprom memory sizes.

Providing the 4620 code does not exceed the smaller 4520 memory then it should work fine.

Depending on your programmer the 4620 code should burn straight into the 4520, but some programmers may pick up that the code is for a 4620 and stop you, so you may have to re compile after changing the chip type to 4520.

I have it's hex file and I'm using extreme burner 18Fxx where we have to select uC myself. What you think in this case?

Hi,

Do not know that programmer, cannot get through to its site, though it sounds like Pickit2 clone.

Just try programming it with the 4520 chip , it will either do it or give you a error message.

If you want to post the hex code I can try burning it into my 4520 which is in front of me now..

there wont be any significant change in the code...Checkout configuration bits and registers

Thanks...
Find attachment here...
Change the extension after download [.pdf to .hex]

Attachments

• Simple Example - PIC18 - C18 Node 1.pdf
    46.6 KB · Views: 67

Hi,

Nope, it wont properly change to .hex, you need to convert it to a .rar or .zip file to post it here.

That was actually HEX file but I can not able to load it that's why I have changed it's extension to PDF. R u able to download it or not? BTW now I'm sending ZIP file.....

Attachments

• P2P.zip
    14.5 KB · Views: 77

Hi,

That works fine, have often programed a 4620 with 4520 code.

My Pickit2 gave the expected warning message but no action needed.

The second shot shows that the program code only uses a small part of the 4520s program memory.
As long as the code does not store masses of data in eeprom or ram it should work fine, have fun

Attachments

• ScreenShot003.jpg
    ScreenShot003.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 98
  • ScreenShot002.jpg
    ScreenShot002.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 106
Status
Not open for further replies.