Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC showing images on a TV :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

psmll

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Two days ago I thought in a new project, nothing serious, just for fun, put PIC processing images that can be seen in a regular TV :)

To start I choose the PIC18F2620, because it have an internal oscillator that with PLL can do 32MHz (8MIPS) and lots of ROM & RAM.

For the DAC I simple used some resistors.

This can be used, just for fun, or for example to use a TV as a out interface for an application that needs to show important information, menus...

I searched in the net, and this is nothing new, some people already did it.

Since I'm doing this for fun, I will try to do it by myself.

First, where I live the PAL is the standard, so I didn't spend time with this decision ;-)

To start I only use Black&White.

Now the most important, to do something, we need to know well how it works, this is the biggest problem.

The document to go is the "Recommendation ITU-R BT.470-7 Conventional Television Systems", but I can't find a link to download it, if you know one, please help

I searched in the net and I found several info, the big problem, is that one page for example says "x=4.7us" and other page says "x=4.5us", and I don't know what is the right one...

I was able to put PIC sending some signals to tv, but as you can see in the captured images below, the first lines are not in the right position :-( Do you have any idea what can be?

At least the other lines are OK, and the first lines not even are visible in most of the TVs ;-)

Another thing that I don't know very well are the video signal voltages, in some places says that they are from 0 to 1V and in others that are from -0.3V to 0.7V.

I first tried one DAC that only have 2 resistors and produce voltages from 0 to 1V, but it didn't worked well in some of my TVs, VCRs and PCTV card, as you can see in the second image below (from PCTV card).

So I did an DAC that can do -0.3 to 0.7V, the only problem is that it needs 4 resistors, but worked very well in all the equipment, as you can see in the frist image below (from PCTV card).

So I think that the right is from -0.3 to 0.7V. Do you know if I'm right?

I already tried so display some things and seems to work ok :)

Now the problem is that the video signal need accurate times, but I also have to put some code to do process others things...

This is just a start, maybe you can try to do something like this, and give me information :)

A test image, the first field have some bars, and the second are all white. (large images, but only 5.6KB+5.56KB) ;-)

maybe you can find more infos here **broken link removed**

picnoobie said:
maybe you can find more infos here **broken link removed**

Thanks, picnoobie.
The 2 resistor DAC(0->1V) is from there :)

About the first lines, maybe the problem is my PCTV card, I captured some TV channels, and the problem also exists ;-)

Congratulations, this is a very nice project. You can also try to use a fpga to generate the RGB signals. There is some threads about that in this forum. So, you can free some processor´s time. Again, congratulations!!

best regards

Breno

Don't ask...(in rar is all information I collected for my collage project)

At a begining it was fun, after some time I realized that there is no room for even one mistake, literally.
1us off and there goes image down the drain, ahh, for second year collage project I choose this, while others where liting LEDs, smart move, NOT.

I did finished it, but you have to realize with 4MHz you lose 98% of time generating TV signal, and other 2% for something intelligent to do. (I exaggerate a little)

But, maybe you will like it.
Good luck. :|

Hi,

At the moment I'm with no free time to continue the project, it will need to wait a little bit, I not even have the MPLAB installed...

But I will finish it ;-)

At the moment:

-I have good control of the tv signal specification, all the times need to be very accurate

-I solved the problems that I had with the top pf the image

-Now to simplify the things, the image is stored in RAM, I just change the RAM to change the image :)

-I also have done some things to 16F PICs, but because of low RAM memory the image have less resolution compared to 18F PICs

Problems:
-For now it's all in ASM, to have accurate times, but I will go to C to process the Image(RAM matrix) and ASM to draw the image.

Future(when I have time):
-Choose a nice application to use it ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.