Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC serial communication,Baud rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

ab.vasanthan

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,
i am using PIC16F887 micro-controller to communicate to PC through UART1 hardware,the frequency of the oscillator in my development board is 16MHz.i simulated my design using proteus and i was able to transfer data to the PC ,but when i tried it in hardware i am receiving unexpected characters like "ðà0ðï €ð?ð|ðð ððÀ|ððü øàð øðððÚüððð0". i am using CCS compiler and MPLAB IDE and hyperterminal software with following configuration (buad rate=9600,data bits=8,parity=none,stop bits=1).i guess its a frequency problem. what baud rate should i use? View attachment code.txt

Hi,
1. Check the baud rate. if you are sending the data in 9600 bps, send the data 0x55 and see whether each bit, that is , high to low transitionte and low to high transition is 1/9600= 104 usec. If yes, the baudrate is correct.
2. check that the wires have loose contact, in some case if the wires are not properly connected, you may get the chunk datas.

Status
Not open for further replies.