Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pic or 8051 , which is perfect for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

masud58

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have done many product with 8051 core like atmel. but now at this time i have facing some problem. i want to wark with ADC, EEPROM,WDT, i think at89s8252 have EEPROM & WDT, only Adc not in use. if i use op-amp like LM 339 to detect analog volt and convert with label, and convert +5v which read at89s8252. i want to sence smoke sensor (frigaro). i dont test this programme yet. i use bascom , proteus ,keil, 8052 simulator, batronix , i want to do more project with atmel. if it is impossible then i want to learn pic microcontroller. it is new for me, so it will take many time.

please help me

Masud Rana
Matrix Electronics
720, Naya Nagar, Natun Bazar , Badda
Dhaka -1212
Bangladesh
Ph- 0088 02 8815801

Choosing a type of a microcontroller is basically like a tossing a coin.
If you fill comfortable with 51-family stick with it.
Jumping from one family to another will only distract your concentration in mastering your skills...

Hi,

If you are using a high level language programming the 8051, migrating to PIC or any other microcontroller will not be a problem.

I have been an 8051 user also, but due to cost, I shifted to PIC micros, I was forced to learn and use C so that I can create a good code for the PIC.

I haven't used the ADC's of PIC's but I had already used external ADC's for PIC's.

Glen

Dear Masut (I think Turkish pronounce Mesut.Mesut most common name in Turkey)
I am senior eng. in Turkey.If you dont use C language I think pic very difficulty chip.If you dont have many experiance about mcu you dont use pic.Beacuse (not 18F series)instraction list very bad for new beginners.If you have deep experiance mcu types not important.
-I think you may use AVR series (very similer 8051 and some chips have a\d converter) or some 8051 deriatives Cygnal,Philips,Maxim,ST,TI this firms makes 8051 with a/d converters.

Regards

hi,
i advice you to use 8051 and keil compiler for avarege performance.
but if you need high performance you should use avr series. they are risc micros and runs instructions in one osilator priodes. this means if you use the same crystal frequency, avr runs 12 instructions at the time of 8051 runs one.
best regards

if you select the PIC you will not be regret.
if you select ATMEL AVR you will not be regret.
and if you select FREESCALE HC08 you will not be regret.
all of these MCUs have similar peripheral units and good document and support and examples. so you can make your project with any of them.
you should select one of them according to your criterions....investigate them(read data sheets and application notes), compare prices, look at variety of MCUs etc.
i suggest pic(18 family) or hc08.........

Like some people have stated ..There are so many MCU with very equivalent caractetistics ..So if you find chips with overlapping power and peripheral is better to go with the FACTOR price and then the easiest for you why learn a different CPU .that will delay your project ..
I only use small pics ..because they are great ..But when the job demands 32k of code i switch to the 51.Firts because there is competition in the 51 market ..there are hundreds of companies making them ..So then won't go obsolete and even if they go i always can find another supplier !.

If you need to do a lot of bread-boarding, I would go with Atmel 8052. All the PIC I've tried are very picky interm of power supply noise which is very hard to control on bread-board. It's also very hard to get the crystal working right. I think you need very stable power supply for the crystal to work right.

If you have to breadboard PIC, make sure you have good decoupling cap and ground for the PIC.

On the other hand, at least with the Atmel 8051 I used, it is less choosy and can work well in power supply noisy environment.

How can I programming analog's aduc841?Does common programmer can programme it?

Although I'm using 89XXX, but I think you should learn Pic Microcontroller, because of its advantage is excess to 89XXX. So when I can do 89XXX perfectly, I'll do PIC...

elchula said:
Although I'm using 89XXX, but I think you should learn Pic Microcontroller, because of its advantage is excess to 89XXX. So when I can do 89XXX perfectly, I'll do PIC...

If you think that masud58 should learn PIC only because your experience with 89XXX has gone bad, then that it's a bad joke.

Look at your posts which emphasized your 89XXX skills:

I'm not a rude guy, but I don't like this behavior.
I'll stop here with my comments, whatever your replies are.
I don't like earning points just posting for fun.
You must help others, not blame them that has choose wrong way.

dear
i think neither 8051 nor PIC but you must migrate to AVR family i had used 8051 and PIC but belive me the best is the avr a great web support and great free tool chains 7 a number of application notes include almost evey idea you think about try to visit www.avrfreaks.net and read a little about avr
B.S if you choose AVR i am here for help

I read so much information of AVR, and I compared it to PIC so I like PIC, 'cause its skills are excess to avr's.

I prefer PIC for my applications, because of high current capacity of its pins. 20 mA is quite enough to drive most of the loads for pull up or pull down applications.

But one should consiter the total power on Vcc or Vdd pin according to its datasheet.

I really enjoyed with a PIC 16F877A at 20 MHz while developing my application when I saw 200 or 400 nanosecond execution speeds on my frequency / interval counter.

i think u are advance user ,, u can use high language with microcontroller ..

i think u are well know about microcontroller
So...
........ it' does not ur big problem to turn to PIC

just start............all is possible

if u need low cost and low power.
I suggest PIC in nanowatt series
(Internal clock, 2-5 V,ADC 10 bit,EEPROM,watchdog)
less External Component require

I believe that it does not worth to change 8051 family. There are many 8051 microcontrollers equiped with different peripherials. You should just see MCU of another company.

Hi,

To tell you i'm a PLC programmer before, until I found out that the era needs to be change to micros. I started from zero about MCU programming. I started in basic programming with PIC I used LET basic demo from crownhills. To tell you guys I'm now here in Saudi Arabia working with PIC embeded projects using Proton PICBASIC, really for me its the best...Easy to learn, huge capabilities with less number of hours to know about, and a lot more. I have also started the 8051 before since PLC is powered by 8051 but difficult to learn.

I believe that it does not worth to change 8051 family. There are many 8051 microcontrollers equiped with different peripherials. You should just see MCU of another company.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back