Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC 24f series and lcd

Status
Not open for further replies.

lats

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear frnz

I want to design a project using pic24f series and 16 x 2 LCD. My problem is that pic 24f series work on 3.3 v operating voltage while lcd needs 5 v to operate .i want to connect many periperals like pendrive etc. which also operate on 5 v. how to solve this problem? please help.
thanku
lats

Industry standard HD44780 compatible LCD controllers have a TTL level specification. They can work 3.3V with CMOS output signals. On the other hand, PIC24F I/Os are 5V tolerant (except for some analog pins), so it has no problem to read e.g. the busy bit from LCD controller. In other words, just connecting the LCD and PIC24F should be fine.

As the second option, most LCD controllers also work with 3.3V supply, check your datasheet. But you usually need a negative voltage at the contrast pin.

I want to design a project using pic24f series and 16 x 2 LCD. My problem is that pic 24f series work on 3.3 v operating voltage while lcd needs 5 v to operate .i want to connect many periperals like pendrive etc. which also operate on 5 v. how to solve this problem? please help.

Also worth mentioning most LCDs with HD44780 compatible LCD controllers are available in a 3.3v version:

Sparkfun LCDs

Many other peripherals are available in a 3.3v version as well.

BigDog

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.