Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Physical representation of transistor working as amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweethy

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can somebody please point me to some links where the working of transistor as an amplifier has been shown clearly..i mean i terms of n-p-n semiconductors and flow of electrons and holes, instead of just representing the transistor using symbol and showing the biasing resistors ?

For most purposes the electron flow and movement of holes can be ignored. Its like when talking about water that it was generated by stars turning hydrogen into oxygen which then combined into water. . . what one needs to know is is it heavy?, does it flow easily, how do I move it from a river into my tap. A junction transistor has three terminals, injecting current through the base into the emitter, causes current to flow from the collector to the emitter. Thats it. There are loads of parameters which influence the amount of current going into the base emitter (Vbe and Re) and more influencing the collector current flow (Vce, Hfe, Vsat, Rl), these are what you have to grapple with in real life. Once you have a good grasp of the above then you can look at how the above change when the transistor is operated in common collector mode (emitter follower) and common base base mode. Then move on to JFETs and MOS FETs :)
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.