Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

phd or job after masters engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.

dozy_walia

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am doing masters in microelectronics and system on chip engineering and working to reduce jitter,delay,power consumption in IC's by working on interconnect level using CADENCE tools.
Should I look for PhD at this stage or try for job ?
Thanks in anticpation
Regards!

Hi friend,

That depends only on your motivation.if you think that research & developement is the best domain than Ph.D is the solution.take a tour in the net to verify your ambitions and to compare between the 2 ways.

Regards.

MrElec

You can get a job for a while. Gain some experience in the field (for a change), then you can go back to college & get a Ph. D.

But as the guys said above, it depends mainly about your motivation. Don't pursue a Ph D is you don't feel excited/interested enough.

Good luck in both ways...

If you can get one without going in-hock up to your eyeballs, a PHD does help in a number of situations. For instance, if you are an independent contractor and are applying for a juicy goverment sponsored research project, like an SBIR in the states, not having a PhD next to your name is a serious drawback to winning one! As you get older, and think of maybe teaching some classes, having a PhD is once again a big plus. If you want to be a technical expert for a lawyer, you need the PhD too.

In other words, if you want to go it alone, having the PhD lends instant credance to your credentials. If you are going to be engineering in a large company, it is not that important.

In practical terms, a sharp enegineer who goes out of his way to keep abreast of technology is usually far ahead of a PhD as far as getting the job done! Most go-get-um type engineers I have known could not wait another couple of years to get the PhD--they wanted to be out in industry designing things right away! So there is some natural darwinian selection going on here.

Hi,
I think doing Phd or doing job depends upon ur interest and the circumtances .If u think doing Phd can help to get into the field which u really opt for then go for Phd .

What has been said is true, but I would just add two more things
to this discussion. It's harder to keep a PhD on the payroll
than a Masters, and experience is very important to employers.

Good luck

PhD or Job?

For reaching the top position in engineering field we l have to get MBA or PhD?
IF-YES
THEN
should we do it regularly after masters and look for job.. --In this condition we dont have any experience and employer prefers experienced engineers which are our old classmates
OR
Should we get 3-4 yrs experience and THEN do a PhD?--In this condition we are losing our current job and will have to find another job after completion of PhD.... if its not related to our previous experience.. it will be hard to get a new job..again!
Secondly, once we drift away from education. then its harder to get back... but this condition is nt tht important as we cn overcome this by some inspiration and motivation!

PLEASE REPLY NOW !!

HOPE YOU UNDERSTOOD MY MAIN CONFUSION!

-- REGARDS

For reaching the top position in engineering field we l have to get MBA or PhD?
People at the top position in the engineering field are not suppose to be Technical expert in one narrow field. To broaden your horizon have experince in your desired area of work for five years and then go for MBA.
At the top it is different requirements altogether...

- Sidd

PhD or Job?

PhD or not PhD, that is the question. My boss is a
PhD and he act like a technician, in others words he
does not care if the simulation is done right, or if the
designed device is done right, etc ..He just care that
is done.....we will fix it later, that is always his response.
I met professors that even they have PhD they never
had even wrote an article o at least wrote a class note.
Some PhD are only for the wall, that is a waste of
time.

If you are in school right now, at a reasonably decent school, then it might be worthwhile to finish up the PhD while you are used to going to school. That get's it out of the way. Taking courses later in life while you are working is hard to do, and if you don't get a job near a good university, they you are really out of luck.

Dave
www.keystoneradio.com

PHD or MBA? That one is actually tougher. A lot of good engineers end up running small projects, and then end up running multiple project, and then they blink their eyes and they have 50 engineers working for them, and it is really easy at that point for someone in upper management look down and say "hey, I don't like the way that guy is running thiings...I don't like his view graphs....I don't like the way he is trying to get his stuff done instead of what I want done...." and on and on. The MBA, will allow you the benefit of the doubt with this senior manager, and give you some practical training on how to "manage upwards". Without the MBA, at that point you can either get crafty very quickly, or get squashed like a bug.

That said, it you are not on the fast track, the MBA is nice, but I would stick to the engineering degrees and really work on getting to be technically competent, and a technical leader of your charges. Meaning, the masters of engineering would be my choice.

I think one should distinguish between Ph.D's work and job.

Most of Ph.D students at Uni. or in industry perform research projects in new technology or develop a new technique or products which will be applied in future as invention.

Job in industry means bachelor or master engineers do a project works that require many people to fulfil the project. It is not a research work but a work they ask you do.

So, if you want to widen your knowledge by getting new things and making a invention, then come to Ph.D course. But consider your ability if you are 'strong' enough and have good background.

With job in industry, often you perform the same work during the time and will reach the work deeper as an expert. Then you can become group/project leader if you have many experiences and have some management skills.

That's all of my ideas.

If u r continuing the study then it will be best for u that u should continue for PhD.
because if u doing the job then again to continue the study is difficult bu u can do both in parallel as job of teaching assistant.

regards

Noor

Hi
There r 2 ways.

1) Continue study & go for PhD. That is whatever topic your guide suggest or
select your own idea.
But to select your own idea(PhD topic) u must need experience & lot of reading.
Because your PhD work must result in to some kind of product otherwise the work of PhD will not useful to industry & again getting job becomes difficult.
( Then u may ask question whether (Post doct. or JOB??)
:D)

2) U can also do PhD side by side with JOB
i.e work in some industry & see current technology
& u can choose the topic.

best of luck

PhD or Job?

Another option is to work and take one or two classes a semster. Even at 1 class a semester in 4 years will will have 30 credits which will probably fulfill your coursework. The remaining credits will be dissertation. You have to make sure the school does not have a sliding window in which the credits count. For instance they may only be good for 10 years, which means you have 6 years to finish your dissertation on top of 4 years of classes.

Maybe you want to do it now full time now before wife and kids. Then again allot of people don't know what topic to choose, which means they don't have any experience. It would be more interesting to do it after working for a few years, but more difficult to find the time.

If you are used to the academic atmosphere and have really strong motivation, go for PhD !! As a matter of fact, usually PhD seats are less than job seats. Does "more rare, more expensive" make sense here?

It depends on your interests and your city. I prefer to a job.

you need consider all the conditions: age, family, your interest, your target and your life status. Please consider it again and again.

PhD or Job?

If you are looking forward to continue in the industry field, you don't need to have more than a MSc .. but if you want to continue in the academia track .. teach in the university .. prefer research to development and these things, then u better chose the PhD ..

PhD versus Industry is like Marathon versus Sprint .. if u prefer to run a Marathon, then go for the PhD .. but if u r a sprint guy, then Industry is more suitable for u ..

PhD or Job?

I think doing PHD is a better choice only when you know what and why you expect from a PHD experience. if you are not quite sure about the why and what you wanna to get from a PHD, then go for a job first, and find the answer for what and why you need PHD title, till then, the PHD study will be fruitful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back