Not open for further replies.

mordak

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have designed a class AB opamp and then drawn its layout. After extraction I run post layout simulation but saw that phase margin was degraded to 40 degrees. I was wondering if there is anyway I can trim the circuit to improve the phase margin, so I don't have to redraw the whole layout, or I need to start from scratch and design another opamp with higher phase margin so after layout I can get the desired PM.

Tnx

Yes - post the circuit and tell us how did you determine the margin?

Tnx guys for commenting. Below are the OTA structure and post layout frequency responce.

... I was wondering if there is anyway I can trim the circuit to improve the phase margin, so I don't have to redraw the whole layout

Can you afford to reduce the UGB - say to 100MHz - by enlarging the CCs ? This would probably upgrade the PM to about 60°.

Can you afford to reduce the UGB - say to 100MHz - by enlarging the CCs ? This would probably upgrade the PM to about 60°.
Unfortunately no, UGBW is critical for me so I can't sacrifice that.

Then I'd try the following changes:

1. reduce Cload
2. reduce Cbat & C'bat
3. play with the Rcs

Then I'd try the following changes:

1. reduce Cload
2. reduce Cbat & C'bat
3. play with the Rcs
I already tested them, thanks anyway. I guess there is no way but to take one step back and redesign it!

Probably this is tedious, but perhaps by comparison of the pre- and post-layout netlists you could try and find out, which layout influence (parasitic capacitance) shifts your non-dominant pole to a lower frequency (and so reduces your PM). This might even be helpful for the redesign.

Reactions: mordak

mordak

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.