Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pH probe interface uP

Status
Not open for further replies.

vlady_2009

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ph probe interface

Attached image shows schematic of op amp circuit for interfacing pH probe to a ADC input of PIC microprocessor (16F786A). The original circuit (https://www.66pacific.com/ph/ph_1.htm) was designed to input pH probe voltage, use reference gnd of 7V, amplify, invert and display on DMM (acidic pH = negative voltage, neutral pH = 0V, alkaline pH = positive voltage) resulting in the displayed "volts" being equivalent to the pH (a reading of 1 to 14). This works fine, and I have used a reference voltage of 2.5V instead to input to ADC of a PIC.

My "problem" is that when I try to alter the value of R4 (decrease the ohms) to increase possible gain of amplification stage (UB2), don't get desired extra amplification. Have I got it correct that the gain = (R4+RV3)/R4 ?

With RV=10K and R=470ohm max gain about 20 (changing wiper position of pot RV does change the output), giving an "best" output voltage ~1.4V for pH 3 and ~3.6V for pH 10 (giving ~28mV/pH unit - about half expected from theoretical for a pH probe - but my test probe is old and they don't store very well). Since the ADC on the PIC can handle 0-5V, would like to increase the gain the use the extra voltage "headroom" to increase possible resolution of pH reading.

I tried decreasing R4 to 270ohms (max gain ~37, roughly double of existing circuit) but got basically same voltage range for the measured pH range.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards

ph probe circuit

With 5V supply voltage, the TL074 output voltage is limited to about 3.5V. Thus your observed "gain" may be possibly the result of a satured output. A rail-to-rail output amplifier would be needed for 5V, single supply operation.

Also an amplifier with lower input current is preferable for a pH instrument.

ph probe + amplifiers schematic

Have used this circuit with a standard pic micro - works well.

Attachments

• ph_amplifier_1480.pdf
    730.2 KB · Views: 116

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back