Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ph.D. In Analog IC design

Status
Not open for further replies.

kundahari

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
analog ic design in the us universities

Hallo Guys,

I done with my Masters in IC design in TU,München, Germany. I would like to know whether it was better to choose Ph.D. or Job in present condition of job market.

If it was Ph.D. kindly suggest some universities anywhere in Europe who can offer Ph.D. related Analog IC design topics.

Suggest me plz...

Thanks a lot,

ic design england university

PhD is better right now. The IC industry is undergoing a huge depression and lots of engineers are loosing their job.
Going for a PhD, you get higher education, a salary and you stay out of the crisis.

There are plenty of good universities in EU...

analog universities in europe

kundahari said:
Hallo Guys,

I done with my Masters in IC design in TU,München, Germany. I would like to know whether it was better to choose Ph.D. or Job in present condition of job market.

If it was Ph.D. kindly suggest some universities anywhere in Europe who can offer Ph.D. related Analog IC design topics.

Suggest me plz...

Thanks a lot,

Hi kundahari,

if you like to stay in Munich, try this:

analog design phd find

Do you know Willy M. C. Sansen from
Catholic University, L euven, Belgium.
I suppose there is a group, but i am not sure.

ic design phd europe

I am also doing my masters in analog IC design and have the same problem. I still have about 6 months and have not decided yet. But it is not promising now, and I am hoping things change soon.

Anyway, for good universities, I have seen people go to EPFL, ETH and Delft. Also I am more than sure there are some decent universities in England too.

masters in ic design

I have been a "don" in two high end schools. I always told my students to improve their minds. Especially in times when jobs were scarce.

phd analog open

Remain in school now as alot good retrenched engineers are also looking for jobs. Which school you go to doesn't matter as long you like your project.

Open a coffee bar... Making and tasting espresso everyday vis a vis an university may be a good business and a passion even for an EE professor ;-)

IMO PhD is a huge commitment for more than 4 yrs. Do not do it because the job market is bad, go for it only if you are truly interested and passionate about it.

Go find a job if you can, because practical experience from industry is more useful to a master graduate.

rockycheng said:
Go find a job if you can, because practical experience from industry is more useful to a master graduate.

Do your Phd man !
You are still young and you have the ideal condition for research. If you are interrested and motivated do it coz such opportuniy comes rarely. Many and many engineers regret it after having worked for years. In fact with time they start to feel bored with the same tasks done every day 35 hrs/week. Especially when their boss is bad :cry:.

Dont worry about work experience. Phd itself is a sweet experience. More, its an opportunity to study issues and reach a depth that no engineer can reach even if work till he get retired.

Unfortunately, you have to dedicate 4 years of your life during which you have to search for materials, read books, write papers, calculate, program ...etc. You'll not enjoy life like your friends coz you are always buzzy. You'll find yourself obliged to sleep late, wake up early and work in weekends and hollydays.

After that, talking work, you have the chose between the high education and the industry. Only Phds have this oppotunity.

It depends ...

Added after 4 minutes:

If an engineer always keep him/her so busy as AdvaRes, the boss must be very happy :)

I'm sorry rockycheng. You misunderstood me. I put your reply in quote coz I have a totally different point of view.
All that I said is a reply/advise to/for kundahari's question.

Status
Not open for further replies.