Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

periodic discrete and continuous time signals

Status
Not open for further replies.

KruthikaMithra

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I read in a book that discrete time signals are periodic only if 'f' is a rational number. Why doesn't this rule apply for continuous time signals? For a continuous time signal x(t)=Acos(2πft) , let 'T' be fundamental period. Consider x(t+T) = Acos(2πf(t+T)) = Acos(2πft+2πfT)
By periodic property x(t)=x(t+T) . I.e. Acos(2πft)= Acos(2πft+2πfT) . Will this not imply 2πfT=2πk where k is an integer and hence f=k/T a rational number? Plz help!

That is a restriction, for discrete-time periodic signals, probably because a period has to both start and end at a sampling instant. Continuous-time periodic signals should be able to have any frequency. Indeed, give me any "segment" or snippet of continuous-time signal, of any finite time in length, and I can connect the end to the beginning (like in a "tape loop" or circular buffer) and voila, it is exactly periodic and extends infinitely in both directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back